New member long term owner

Welcome to the 406 Owners Club (406oc.co.uk and pug406.co.uk). If you havn't registered, you can post in here, and find out what the site is all about!

Moderator: Moderators

PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: New member long term owner

Post by PeterN »

I ran diesel estates for about 10 years, brilliant car, possibly the best Peugeot ever made. Welcome to the forum.

Peter
RooHDiExec
1.6 8v

Post by RooHDiExec »

dirtydirtydiesel wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:39 pm A belated welcome :wink:

Ginger & Doggy are the resident 2.2hdi guru's

Blocked cat / dpf, sludged up or stuck egr , failing maf or map sensor, vacuum lines, swirl flap actuator,
Sticking variable vanes on the turbo, blocked fuel filter, low fuel pressure.

Really need diagnostics on it (pp2k) & someone who knows how to interpret the findings :wink:

DOGGY :D
Interesting reading thank you. I'm hoping to get some time on it tomorrow. I've got a new MAF as it happens but want to do a more thorough diagnosis rather than blindly changing components. I have got access to a snap on reader (large nearly new car dealer type expensive one) and it gave a "flow sensor signal" fault code.
I'm still dead set on getting the car up to scratch so your advice is gratefully received. PP2k is obviously a logical step to take. Is this something readily available through the members on here? What are the options?
2003 2.2 HDi Executive Estate
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Only use a genuine MAF don't waste your money on a pattern / none oe one
& the Chinese one's are shocking.

I wasn't advocating throwing part's at it.
I was just giving you a list of possibilities for power issue's,
All have been common on the 2.2 HDi over the years.
I did say run diagnostics on it :wink:
Ideally pp2k which is slang for Peugeot planet 2000 , the only diagnostic kit to run on these.

I have it, Doggy has it, Ginger has it, loads of members have it.

It's a clone of the genuine Peugeot kit, all over eBay ect.
But it can be difficult to load / operate.
Also you need someone familiar with the fault codes & what they mean in reality.

Doggy has had two 2.2 Hdi's & a wealth of experience, as does Ginger
But Doggy has already offered & he's much closer to you.

Lot's of info on here with regards to my list,
But your guessing without the right Diagnostics, people have been on here before with flash Snap-on
Diagnostic kit only to find it's not as in-depth as pp2k.

Loads of these have been sold over the years because the owner's trusted garage couldn't solve the
D.P.F, low boost, high boost, lack of power issue's

Just trying to help, hope you get to the bottom of it.
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
2.0 16v

Post by 486 »

About MAF - I know HDI can run without MAF and then it calculates "good" values depending on current speed/rpm. I suspect my MAF is bad or not working but diagnostics say it has normal values. Is it possible to work with automatic (catalog) values instead of real measures from MAF without yellow indicator on dashboard?
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Not on the 2.2hdi - only on the 2.0hdi and even then it's hit and miss with the EML...

The 2.2hdi will drive like a turd with the MAF unplugged, although you are welcome to try it - worse case will be having to do a few journeys once you've plugged it back in to extinguish the EML.

The snap-on reader isn't as versatile as PP2K by should also least give you the fault code which you can Google - it's not always 100% but should at least point you in the right direction.

However, I do suggest to chat with Doggy - he has the knowledge, the patience and is possibly the nicest guy you'll ever meet - I trust him.

Good luck with your search, but in the meantime check your vacuum lines for leaks and your boost pipes for splits.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
2.0 16v

Post by 486 »

Vacuum lines and pipes were checked 2-3 times and technicians say they are ok. Maybe the last possible reason is the EGR valve. I have relatively good acceleration between 2000 and 3000 rpm but above 3000 it is worse.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

To be fair over 3000rpm on the Hdi isnt great, it's all about the oomph between 1000 and 3000 rpm...

It's possible your swirl valve is split, which is stealing the vacuum from the turbo when it needs it most. You can check this yourself.

Pop the bonnet with the engine running ( always keep the door on the latch as newer 406s have a habit of locking themselves.. ) and look for the little black ball thing by the side of the engine cover join.
With the engine running it should be pulled backwards, and when you rev the engine over 2100 revs this little ball should move forward.
If it fails to move then it's possible it's split.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
2.0 16v

Post by 486 »

If I correctly understand the moving part is in the red square:
1.jpg
(113.27 KiB) Not downloaded yet
And it is controlled by part with OEM code 0363.87 like this: https://www.autodoc.co.uk/meat-doria/13878850
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Yes, correct on both questions.

As GM said, this should be in the upward position with the engine stopped, retract to close the swirl flaps at idle and open again above 2100 rpm.

To be honest shutting off half the inlet valves at low engine speeds gives a barely discernible benefit when it's working properly. Having it in the wrong position at high engine speeds does affect power more noticeably, but the bigger issue is the potential for vacuum leaks that will mess up turbo operation etc.

To establish quickly & cheaply if replacing the swirl flap actuator help:
1. Check it's spring-loaded to the up position, (if it's not tie it up temporarily).
2, Trace/disconnect & plug the vacuum pipe to the bottom end of the actuator, (or the vacuum supply pipe to the electrovalve that controls it if access is easier).

If that makes no difference you've eliminated that part of the system.

I fitted a 6-speed gearbox to my last 406 which kept it below 2100 RPM at 70 so the swirl flaps would have been closed. I disabled the actuator as above and ran it that way for years with no issue. In other words I don't think it's worth replacing a faulty one, you'll never miss it.

Your earlier comment about the egr as a possible cause is most easily eliminated by blanking the egr pipe at the 'cold end' where it joins the inlet manifold. This post shows much of the above: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21954&hilit=blanking+plate
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)