My 406 Break - bought it for work, but already love the car

Welcome to the 406 Owners Club (406oc.co.uk and pug406.co.uk). If you havn't registered, you can post in here, and find out what the site is all about!

Moderator: Moderators

joydivision
1.8 16v

Re: My 406 Break - bought it for work, but already love the car

Post by joydivision »

Here are some (not really good...) pics of the motor.
DSC_2968_.JPG
(447.78 KiB) Not downloaded yet
DSC_2969_.JPG
(416.06 KiB) Not downloaded yet
DSC_2970_.JPG
(414.71 KiB) Not downloaded yet
And here are two pics about things I discovered. A disconnected plug, don't know what it is for. Any ideas?
Also, in the fuse box there's a place for some relay which is not there. I also admired the fact that there's no relay at all, unlike many other cars, probably they're all inside the BSI or hidden somewhere around the whole vehicle... a french approach? :lol:
DSC_2987_.JPG
(378.61 KiB) Not downloaded yet
DSC_2986_.JPG
(566.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet
joydivision
1.8 16v

Post by joydivision »

Update: A/C is FIXED! 8)

Today I finally managed to take he car to the garage that was recommended to me, and yes, they did a great job (and really cheap!): A/C system is working perfectly now! He said it was totally low on gas, must have been charged incorrectly, machine didn't detect any relevant leak, but he says it may have a very small leak, which could explain why it partially worked for some time when I got the car - if it was charged very low, it would have worked a bit and then the loss of just a little of the gas would make it go below the point where it would stop working at all. Seems plausible to me. Well, as long as it doesn't need more than 1 charge per year, I can live with it. Really happy now! Here in PT it's just madness to drive a car without A/C in the summer...
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

More good news!

Well done.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Good news on the a/c 8) I've not seen that plug before, it doesn't look like a standard connector so maybe something aftermarket?

And the good news is.... Your car doesn't have a BSI :wink:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
joydivision
1.8 16v

Post by joydivision »

Yes, in the meantime I also noticed this while I was taking covers apart to get to know the ignition switch/barrel - I noticed the relays and other stuff below the fuse box, but clearly no "black box" :lol:
I guess that's good, then. Because I've read about so many troubles with the BSI in later models.

Btw, does that also mean that the MFD of this car is really only this, a display showing outside temperature and radio station (of the original radio, now that I've got installed an aftermarket obviously that function is gone), not being able to work as trip computer? or are the two things totally unrelated? As I still wasn't able to find out whether this model has a simple MFD or if it could have a working trip computer if I manage to fit connections for a switch (it clearly doesn't have the switch for trip computer on the steering column switches). Not that this would have any priority, just curiosity, but if it had all things needed for trip computer, only lacking activation button, then logically I would try to make it work one day.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I'm afraid the D8 diesels didn't get trip computers.

GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

I'm thinking that space where a relay could fit might be for your heated seats - it's all I can think of at the moment.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
joydivision
1.8 16v

Post by joydivision »

Thanks Steve, that's some valuable information right now, as I wasn't able to find anything reliable in regards to this on the net. I was already suspecting it, though. I don't mind, it's not something I would go into the trouble of trying to "retrofit" even if that was possible. But I'm going to make that exterior temperature sensor work! 8)
joydivision
1.8 16v

Post by joydivision »

Update:
- FIXED: the ignition would suddenly turn off during driving - only happened twice, but it could be dangerous. Motor would lose power first and battery light go on, then switches off. After much observation (and paying attention the second time it happened), we deducted it would be problem with ignition switch. Got myself a used complete key barrel and while replacing (only ignition switch for now), I noticed that previously a repair of this had been done badly - broken off locking clip and not fitted wiring retention - all this could contribute for the ignition switch being loose, so probably this caused the problem, together with a quite heavy key bunch - I now put the key in a way it minimizes this risk and I'm careful not to touch it with my knee.
joydivision
1.8 16v

Post by joydivision »

Bad news regarding the A/C: after these few days going strong, it suddenly stopped working again. Must have a small leak, which takes a few days to loose gas until it's below the threshold for pressure sensor (and fooling the system by bypassing sensor makes compressor clutch come on, but no cool air, exactly like last time), it's small enough for the machine not detecting it when filling. Tomorrow I'm going to call the garage and take the car to them again, but this time to find the leak. Hopefully it's only a hose or some simple component, and not a leaky compressor, for example... :roll:
joydivision
1.8 16v

Post by joydivision »

I'm starting to think it's probably the compressor that the seller had installed, I think it's leaking oil. Very little. I had already seen that once, shortly after I bought the car, but at that time I wasn't suspecting of the A/C (it was still working) and my mechanic had just said that while doing the revision he had to top up the hydraulic fluid for steering assistance and I thought that could be hydraulic fluid (looks a bit similar) and didn't give it any importance. But now that it has failed again and I was looking at the compressor, doing also the test of fooling the system by bypassing sensor, I noticed again two little drops of oil from compressor... I checked above it and all I got was some old rests of almost dry black oil, nothing like that clear and fresh oil. So it must be from the compressor. I googled this up and seems like if it gets a leak at the shaft gasket it will leak oil (and gas, obviously). Tomorrow I will try to take it again to the same garage, but will tell them about my findings, so they can confirm this. I'm not sure if they added leak detector as you suggest, but I will ask them, too. I've read that a shaft gasket is actually not too hard to substitute, but the problem apparently is the availability of the gaskets for older compressors and the work needed, so many people just exchange the compressor. As I've already spent too much money that I wasn't expecting to spend, I'd really prefer the most economical solution, so I'd be thankful for hints and opinions on this. I know it's not totally confirmed (hopefully tomorrow I will get more certainty) but it seems pretty clear...
joydivision
1.8 16v

Post by joydivision »

Went to the garage today and they confirmed my diagnostic - it's the compressor. :cry: The quote they gave me was as "specialized" as they are specialized in air conditioning, so I immediately decided I will have to get a new compressor by myself, ask the mechanic I know and trust to install it and then finally come back to them and have them vacuum and charge the system. I'm going to open a separate thread, as I might need some help to identify the correct model to order (I want a new compressor, to not take any risks, but the most economic option I can find).
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

This might help, although it's for a D9 viewtopic.php?p=151849#p151849

joydivision
1.8 16v

Post by joydivision »

Today I fixed the passenger mirror and got a temperature reading on MFD. It turned out they had not only disconnected the connector, but pushed the grey thing down, so that the pins would not engage, even when connected. Took me quite a long time and some measuring to find out. I'm glad I found it before opening all the carpet/side panels to try to get to door wiring... Installed the same "switch" dirty hack as on drivers side, bingo, problem solved, I now can adjust the mirror! Outside temperature reading was wrong though. Like 20 degrees too high. I think it's the wrong sensor - the mirror is not original. Sensor measures fine. I installed a potentiometer in series, which I adjusted so temperature would be within realistic range. But I think this is not going to work, I think it will break linearity on lower and higher temps. Have to test yet.

Opened dedicated thread in correct section on this forum to ask for help identifying A/C compressor (I took pics and got a part number). Any help is welcome.
joydivision
1.8 16v

Post by joydivision »

UPDATE:
- FIXED: bad sound from front speakers: the problem was easily identified when I took the grilles off: the speaker membrane had lost its rubber connection to the outside ring, look at the photo, I can't describe this better. It had simply rotten away :shock: I don't think this is supposed to happen after only 24 years, but.... maybe this is even a known issue with these speakers for this car... anyways, I was lucky enough to have stored the original speakers of my previous car (in which I installed a better sound system, with 2-via speakers (installed little tweeters on mirror triangles), it only had these single full range speakers in the doors) and they were the right size! But: I had to cut off with a saw a lot of plastic on them and drill new holes so that they would fit. I eventually succeeded and got them installed. Success! Great sound, too. Much better than I expected, in my Lancer they didn't sound that good, but then again, it didn't have tweeters (and here the tweeters fortunately didn't suffer the same premature death as the speakers in the doors), so that might explain the better sound. So, I'm happy to have music back in my car, and this one I got fixed at zero cost! :D Now, one day I have to order two small speakers for the rear, they have the same defect but even worse: they died completely, no sound at all. But that's no priority right now, have other more important stuff to do: A/C compressor arrived last week and was well installed by my trustworthy mecanic, now on Tuesday I have appointment with A/C garage to change the dryer filter and vacuum and charge the system. Hopefully then finally the A/C will be fine. Fingers crossed!
DSC_3006_.JPG
(589.75 KiB) Not downloaded yet