Hi All

Welcome to the 406 Owners Club (406oc.co.uk and pug406.co.uk). If you havn't registered, you can post in here, and find out what the site is all about!

Moderator: Moderators

simtec

Hi All

Post by simtec »

Hi All

Just a quick hello this is my first 406 and just getting to grips with it but like it so far it dose have one or two faults on it which i could do with some help with ie

milage display dim with lights off
have no radio so if anyone has the standard 4050 radio for sale that would be great
Also the some times the speedo fails cheaked for loose wire behind dash all ok ?

Simon :D
1996 406 glx dt (blue)
mjb
Site Admin

Re: Hi All

Post by mjb »

simtec wrote:milage display dim with lights off
Welcome to the [s]loony bin[/s]friendly place! :cheesy:

Do you mean dims with lights on? That's the intended operation and the brightness can be controlled with the dimmer that should be by your right knee (presuming a right-hand drive model). Is it just the odometer that it happens on, or things like the centre console display and clock too?
have no radio so if anyone has the standard 4050 radio for sale that would be great
ebay :)
Also the some times the speedo fails cheaked for loose wire behind dash all ok ?
Could me one of may things: a physically sticking gauge, dry solder joints on the instrument cluster PCB (think someone else on here had that problem), bad connection at the connector, breaking wire in the loom, etc... How exactly does it fail? Does it suddenly drop to 0 then pick back up again? Does it stick? Does it happen going over bumps or just first thing in the morning, etc?
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Welcome chap :cheesy:

Hope you enjoy the forum!

And well done for buying the more reliable D8 :P
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
simtec

Re: Hi All

Post by simtec »

mjb wrote:
simtec wrote:milage display dim with lights off
Welcome to the [s]loony bin[/s]friendly place! :cheesy:

Do you mean dims with lights on? That's the intended operation and the brightness can be controlled with the dimmer that should be by your right knee (presuming a right-hand drive model). Is it just the odometer that it happens on, or things like the centre console display and clock too?
ebay :)
Could me one of may things: a physically sticking gauge, dry solder joints on the instrument cluster PCB (think someone else on here had that problem), bad connection at the connector, breaking wire in the loom, etc... How exactly does it fail? Does it suddenly drop to 0 then pick back up again? Does it stick? Does it happen going over bumps or just first thing in the morning, etc?
Many thanks for all the hellos

the milage is dull all the time the only way to see it is turn on the lights and the speedo just drops to 0 and then will come back up when it feels like it

Many thanks

Simon
Blue406
406 Gimp

Post by Blue406 »

I diagnose a blown bulb behind your ODO.

It gets just enough light from the other bulbs in the dash when you turn the lights on. But still has its own bulb so you can see it all the time.

Easy enough to replace.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Blue406 wrote:I diagnose a blown bulb behind your ODO.
Agreed

3 torx screws (You'll really want to buy a set of torx drivers/bits if you own a 406!) under the top of the instrument cluster surround. Undo them, adjust the steering wheel down and out, then the surround will come out easily enough. Then 2 torx screws at the top and 2 at the bottom of the cluster and it's out. Either get a new bulb in a holder from the dealers for £1.80 each or a pack of bulbs from Maplins, see this thread for part number: viewtopic.php?t=1707

It's well worth buying a few spares!
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
scottish pug estate
1.8 16v

Post by scottish pug estate »

hi 8)