Thinking of buying my 1st 406

Welcome to the 406 Owners Club (406oc.co.uk and pug406.co.uk). If you havn't registered, you can post in here, and find out what the site is all about!

Moderator: Moderators

Jason

Thinking of buying my 1st 406

Post by Jason »

Hey all, like the topic states, I'm considering a purchase of a 406 near me for quite a good deal, I do have one main question before hand though, and who better to ask than the owners club? :)

My main concern is that so far I have only heard negative feedback about peugeot since mentioning that I want to buy one from colleagues and friends, saying that the general reliability of peugeot is poor. Especially within the gearbox and rusty panels?

Now I realize I'm on a pug forum, so the answers are a little biased, but could you try to give me a few pros and cons, honestly, with the 406? I can then assess whether I truly want to go for one or my other choice.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to hearing the views

Jason
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Re: Thinking of buying my 1st 406

Post by jameslxdt »

first off welcome 8)
right where to start, 406 and any pug for that matter dont ever rust, dodgy gearboxes is more of a concern for autos, but then all auto 'boxes are shite,
the 406 itself is a fine car, the D8 is very reliable as long as you avoid ones with the keypad immobiliser
only real issues are its very comfortable, suspension noises, noisy standard exhausts, fuel consumption
the D9 is not as good as the old beast but still very strong, ive had 4 406s and ive only been let down twice by them, my green saloon sheard and engine mounting at 183,000 miles, and my latest one had the clutch release bearing go at 167,000 miles, i would say that the most reliable choice would be a D8 2.0 16v, i had one of these for nearly 2 years without any problems
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
FAQ - 406 D8 petrol (excl. V6) running and starting problems
Jason

Post by Jason »

Hey James, thanks for the welcome.

The info you've provided is great, infact it has totally reassured me on the route of the 406. I appreciate your suggestion on the 16v, though I do have a diesel in mind, the reason why I chose peugeot is due to the fact that, if nothing else, they have awesome diesel engines.
I've got to ask though, being comfortable, is that really an issue?! :P And noisy bits don't bother me in the slightest, as long as I know that they're supposed to be there!

You mentioned fuel consumption, now I'm moving over from a Calibra (I know, bad choice) and the consumption on that was terrible. The other reason I'm after a diesel! :)

Thanks again for the info, what do you think ^^?
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

As James says, your friends and colleagues are horribly ill-informed :)

Autos are a no-go, especially when attached to a V6, and D8s (the Mk.1 version with the radiator grille looking like the pic in my sig) are kings of reliability. If you're looking at a D9 (with the mesh grille) make sure EVERYTHING electrical works as it should. Most electrical problems in a D8 can be fixed fairly easily, but D9s may require a new BSI (£££). 180k miles is no big achievement for petrols (2.0 turbo and 2.0 16v being reliability kings) and 250k is nothing special for a diesel.

As for rust, I've got tons of scratches and dents on mine due to its past life as a taxi yet there's no rust. Don't think I've seen a rusty '6 on the road either.
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

being comfortable isnt an issue, its just they are so comfortable its easy to fall asleep while driving,
as for diesels, the D8 diesels arent that great, the 1.9td is bullet proof and goes for millions of miles, but is very noisy, very slow and not the most economical, the 2.1 is amazing, loads of torque, plenty of power, but again very noisy, but better fuel economy, but nowhere near as reliable as the 1.9, then comes the D9 HDis, this is what i have now, the 110 version, fuel economy is just amazing, ive had 68mpg out of it, about 300 miles to 20 litres 8) power is much better two, though not as good as the 2.1, as for noise, they can get quite bad at silly mileage, but mines on 167,000 and doesnt sound like a diesel at idle, but reliability can be a bit patchy, wiring problems and in-tank and high pressure fuel pumps can suffer with higher mileages and lack of maintainance, also injectors can give issues, which cost £350 each :cry:
but there are good ones and bad ones, its just luck i spose
the HDi 90 should be avoided as performance is on par with an iceberg
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
FAQ - 406 D8 petrol (excl. V6) running and starting problems
DurhamRed
1.8 8v

Post by DurhamRed »

For what its worth;

I don't rate the 406 that highly on build quality, I have a 2001 2.2 SRi and its a low miler with few owners but it has some shoddy build quality over other marques I have driven and owned that would be comparable on age. I traded my Volvo S40 2.0i X reg in for the 406 and thats when I sort of appreciated how well the Volvo was built. For instance, the 406 interior finishes like the the door handle surrounds regularily fall off! The rear parcel shelf creaks like mad and the interior lights are very dim, nowhere near bright enough. Mechanically, the clutches seemed to have a lot of travel before they bite, once you get used to it then its okay, but at first..... Oh and a Peugeot weak spot - strut bearings age quickly and knock when you ster at low speed, although its not an expensive fix.
However, what it lacks in build quality the 406 makes up in superb handling, very good powerful engines (well the 2.2 is anyway!), excellent gear change and fantastic equipment level for the money - do you get r/sensitive wipers, climate control and a six cd multi on a Mondeo LX? No.
As a used buy there is bloody loads around, so be picky and try a few out. I paid £3k for mine back in July last year and apart from the build quality niggles, which most cars will be guilty of to some degree, its not a bad motor. Its better than a comparable Vectra, Laguna and Primera but its not quite as good as a MK3 Mondeo or Volvo S40 in my opinon (as an overall package anyway.)
Jason

Post by Jason »

Hey all, thanks for the info! - Well, it certainly looks indeed like they have been mis-informed, infact my Uncle has previously purchased a 406 and swears by it :) I should listen to him more often ;)

But I will indeed be picky, especially around here there are at least 20 for sale, obviously it's going to be time consuming but I think it would be a good idea also to try out at least half of those! I'm looking to hopefully spend no more than 2 grand as it stands at the moment, but just out of interest,

Which would you consider the over-all best for fuel economy and reliability? I've got to drive 160km per day driving to Amsterdam, so I need something reliable as my Calibra is terrible.

TIA :)
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Jason wrote:I've got to drive 160km per day driving to Amsterdam
I'll pop over and help you choose one :P

A HDi will be a fine choice. I've had the following problems, worth checking:

Air Con condenser (radiator) failed, corroded and leaked at the bottom edge (very common in UK at 7 years old).

Radiator fan failed.

Broken rear road spring (cheap fix) ride height down on one side, not that common though.

Bottom crank pulley got VERY noisy, horible sound, quite exspenive to buy new one.

The clutch is worn and slips sometimes but has done this for 2 years.

I've not had one single electrical 'gremlin' with any interior electrics, not even a blown dash bulb.

Good car I say (having just sailed through it's second MOT).

Buy one thats been cared for, in good condition, had plenty of services etc . Drive at least 5 HDi's as they can vary in performance depending on use etc.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
Jason

Post by Jason »

Thanks Welton, I'll look into it! :)

Any other views welcome, but radiators are easy to fix, I've fixed the cally rad a few times, so no big deal.
I'll have a look for the HDi then! :)

Jay
Jason

Post by Jason »

oh, and ofcourse you're welcome to pop over ;)
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Welton wrote:
Jason wrote:Bottom crank pulley got VERY noisy, horible sound, quite exspenive to buy new one.
...and essential. It'll quite likely take out the timing belt when it goes. Common practice is to change it with the timing belt (which you should change anyway on any new car, unless it's brand new!)

What quality issues??! These cars are put together much better than any other car I've driven! (apart from my dad's E124 Merc.), the only trouble they seem to have is all the lock rods etc. rattle a bit. Nothing seems prone to break off in your hand (unlike all the Frods I've ever driven...). Handbrakes are the most common issue but I adjust all play out of the cables and they seem fine.

I've not long bought a 2,0 HDi because my old 2.1 was such a good car, now I find they have all sorts of potential problems, particularly with electronics. Mine also sounds like a tank (at only 80,000km). If I had my time again I'd hold out for the best 2.1 td I could find. Admittedly, the 1.9 is more reliable and get-to-able, but the 2.1 is a well proven engine, is still economical and pulls like the proverbial train.

Anyway, right now it's a buyers' market, cars are always harder to shift in the winter, so go out and see what you can find. And remember, if it's not quite right there's plenty more fish in the sea!
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Nice one, thank you kindly Steve!

I've found what looks to be a decent 1.9td '97. - I can't tell you which version it is though! :P 2700euro
GeordieBoy
3.0 24v

Post by GeordieBoy »

I've had my 2001 HDi for 2 yrs now, its been a bit love, hate, love relationship. The quality and equipment is 1st class in my GTX, its now done 138k miles of which I've done 29k as 2nd owner. Common faults on mine are the Air Bag Light often fixed by playing with the cables under the drivers seat and/or removing battery overnight to reset the ECU. I've now got an ABS & Air Bag Light on, the ABS I think its cos the cable from the sensor is frailed so prob needs replacing from sensor. My handbrake is poor, very poor, scored 16% on last MOT (15% is a pass). My Bottom Pulley went at 125k, Alternator at 130k & Original Clutch at 134k. To replace the Clutch on a HDi is a 10hr Labour Job so expensive in a garage. When my clutch went it also fu**ed up my Gearbox's 2nd, I now cant get 2nd gear but all other gears are fine. I just to go from 1st to 3rd, pain in the arse but its ok.
UK Open Drift Championship 2011 Driver #80
Vehicles I own:-
1999 S Peugeot 406 LX 1.9TD (90% WVO, 10% Petrol)
2000 W Ford Transit LWB High Roof 2.5D
1997 R E36 BMW 328i Saloon (Drift/Track Car)
1995 N E36 BMW 328i Saloon (Spare Parts Car)
SOLD --- 2001 Y 406 GTX 2.0 HDi 110bhp
Jason

Post by Jason »

Possibly the least satisfying comment I've heard, and the gearbox was what I was mostly concerned with, the handbrake of my own car is pretty rough, but I haven't had any bad engine problems apart from blowing out the alternator....

I'm not so sure,
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Peugeot manual boxes are super tough and that's that.

Geordieboy hammers his car. Wheelspins, burnouts, races, etc. I think this is why he had problems. It seems when the clutch went he may have *forced* 2nd gear and broke it. :oops:

The alternator fault may have more to do with his eleventy million watts of ICE and Neonz :shock:

(correct me if I'm wrong Geordie matey? :cheesy: )
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work