Fuel Filler Flap

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

sirwiggum
3.0 24v

Fuel Filler Flap

Post by sirwiggum »

Hi,

I have noticed that my fuel filler flap doesn't actually need the little lever to unlock, as it is never locked!

It looks like there is something missing from the left hand side, some sort of a bar to keep the flap in place perhaps?

Does anyone know how the locking mechanism should work?

It was mentioned previously that there should be a spring on the hinge, I don't have this either. I assume that this is not needed for the locking mechanism?

Cheers!
1999 Honda Accord Coupe 2.0 Vtec Automatic
Previously 2002 406 HDi 90 Rapier Monaco Blue
Welly wrote:something to do with rubber/splits/bursts/flat/floppy etc
DaiRees
Site Admin

Re: Fuel Filler Flap

Post by DaiRees »

My guess is that the spring failed so the catch has been disabled, not really a problem. Look up "peg spring" in the search box and I'm sure you'll find the fix for the hinge spring, but then you'll need to figure out and fix the catch. Might be better to leave it alone :oops: :?
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
eoin27
The Irish 406 addict

Post by eoin27 »

Ya I'd leave it alone. The best mechanism is in the 607. It locks the fuel door with the rest of the car. Once the car is open, it just flips open with a little push and you have access. The worst mechanism is using the car key to open the cap (307 and 407)
2000 D9 Coupé 2.0 SE EW10J4 Scarlet Red - 5 litres of oil gone in 500 miles!!! Time for a new coupe me thinks
Harshan
2.2 16v

Post by Harshan »

eoin27 wrote: The worst mechanism is using the car key to open the cap (307 and 407)
amen to that.... I'd add 206 to the same list. I thought 407 is simillar to 607 mechanism.
----------------------------------------------------------------
2007, 407SW HDi 2.0l
1980, Volkswagen GolfD 1.6l
-----------------------------------
1996, 1.8(8v), SL ( The BEST Peugeot I've ever had. It kept me working on it, fixing it almost every day, I miss you)
sirwiggum
3.0 24v

Post by sirwiggum »

It was just a little embarrassing to look in the wing mirror and see the fuel filler flap flapping about in the strong wind.

Wanted to stop people syphoning my precious derv too, and is it not an MOT failure to not have a locking fuel cap? (though could get by with a Halfrauds universal lockable one).

Cheers anyhow!

Edit:

I'll try and steal a clothes peg later without my prettier half noticing. Would a thin short screw into the catch "stump" on the left work?
Might just leave it be, hopefully a spring should stop it flapping about.
eoin27
The Irish 406 addict

Post by eoin27 »

Oh. I didnt know it was flapping about. A spring wont stop that. Your best bet is to get a whole housing from the scrappy (I think it needs to be drilled out) and break it apart to fit your existing fuel door becasue its colour coded.
2000 D9 Coupé 2.0 SE EW10J4 Scarlet Red - 5 litres of oil gone in 500 miles!!! Time for a new coupe me thinks
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

There should be a sprung pin that latches the filler flap. Sometime I've had this get stuck in and I've had to pop it out with a small screwdriver; worth a look, maybe someone pushed it away from the hole in which case you may be able to hook it with a length of wire.
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
sirwiggum
3.0 24v

Post by sirwiggum »

teamster1975 wrote:There should be a sprung pin that latches the filler flap. Sometime I've had this get stuck in and I've had to pop it out with a small screwdriver; worth a look, maybe someone pushed it away from the hole in which case you may be able to hook it with a length of wire.
Thanks. I'll have a look but it seemed like a fairly uneven surface with string showing to what was left in the little hole, as if it had been snapped.
omega
3.0 24v

Post by omega »

got a scrap 406 that im breaking and was looking at getting the flap of it and useing it on mine but its not a easy job.you cant remove the pin on the flap as there is not enough room,you can undo the 4 screws you see when you open the flap but that wont help you either
so i think you have to remove the arch liner to get it out ,but not sure as i havnt got that far yet
does anybody know??
trem1
3.0 24v

Post by trem1 »

eoin27 wrote:Ya I'd leave it alone. The best mechanism is in the 607. It locks the fuel door with the rest of the car. Once the car is open, it just flips open with a little push and you have access. The worst mechanism is using the car key to open the cap (307 and 407)
the 407 one doesnt open with a key,the flaps got a lttle notch out of it that you just put your finger in and pull,the filler cap isnt key locked either,the flap locks when the car does 8)

2004 Iron Grey 407se 136bhp......Written Off
2006 Moonstone blue 407 se 136 bhp.....Written off
2006 silver 407 SW..........replacement
Japster
1.8 16v

Post by Japster »

Just donr this tonight on my car as the spring had failled, the flap when opened just needs the stainless bar lifted to the top of the aperture and the flap slots out, no need to take the liner or any of the screws out, as for the colour i needed another flap as the plastic that pushes on the spring had snapped off so i just seperated the outer cover which is my colour and glued it to another from the scappy which was a fiver, job was done start to finish within five minutes
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

sirwiggum wrote:Thanks. I'll have a look but it seemed like a fairly uneven surface with string showing to what was left in the little hole, as if it had been snapped.
Gawd, it does sound as though someone has snapped it. It should have a tapered end.
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

trem1 wrote:
eoin27 wrote:Ya I'd leave it alone. The best mechanism is in the 607. It locks the fuel door with the rest of the car. Once the car is open, it just flips open with a little push and you have access. The worst mechanism is using the car key to open the cap (307 and 407)
the 407 one doesnt open with a key,the flaps got a lttle notch out of it that you just put your finger in and pull,the filler cap isnt key locked either,the flap locks when the car does 8)

Yep, my 407 is so much better than the old 406 fuel flap, a good design for once :D
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

jasper5 wrote:Yep, my 407 is so much better than the old 406 fuel flap, a good design for once :D
Don't forget that sublime armrest when it's raised :)
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang