My coupe's broken by an Astra

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

neildavies
3.0 24v

My coupe's broken by an Astra

Post by neildavies »

Can't believe it, after 10 years of no accidents, and they wait until I get my all time wanted car and break it.

Happenned on a dual cariiageway, all traffic stopped for no reason, it happens. The brakes on this car are amazing and it stopped lovely, then this Astra slammed into the back of me, pushed me 2-3 car lengths, I managed to steer around the car in front of me luckily.

Everyone's ok, that's the first thing I checked. Aching a bit now (3 hours later) and my insurance have adviced to get seen to. Also, I've requested that the hir car I have be of similar standard. I just spoke to the girl involved, who was very shook up (as I'm starting to feel now) and she told her insurance company that she's liable. Her car looks to be written off as there was oil coming out under it.

Anyway, 2 broken cars and no broken bones. Although it was her fault, there was nothing much she could've done about it, these things happen.

Hoping my car's repairable, the wheel well is crumpled a bit, and a new bumper. Fingers crossed. I'll keep you posted.
Here's the cars:

And the Astra
off for a cry now
2007 Mondeo Titanium X 2.0 TDCi
2007 307cc Sport 2.0 HDi 136
Gone but never forgotten: 2002 406 Coupe SE 2.2 HDi
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

Oh dear...!! If I owned a Coupe (*wets his pants*) and this happened to me, I would have CRIED!!! :cry: Glad you're OK. Let us know how you get on!
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Who's back end are we supposed to be looking at :P

Sorry chap............ I don't think yours will be too bad to repair and these bodyshops do a fantastic job now, shame though all the same.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
Blue406
406 Gimp

Post by Blue406 »

OUCH!
At least everyone walked away, thats the most important bit
neildavies
3.0 24v

Post by neildavies »

Does anyone know if it's possible to replace the spare wheel well, as it looks n a sorry state at the moment.

As I said, the first thing I did was get out, checked the girl was ok, and comfort her that they're only 2 lumps of metal (well that was a lie, as mine is gold to me). But it's much better than getting out and ranting and raving. At the end of the day, it's an accident, nobody did anything on purpose.
Blue406
406 Gimp

Post by Blue406 »

If I'm not mistaken, the floor pan of the boot (inc wheel well) is a seperate metal sheet with is welded into position.

It should be perfectly possible to replace all the bent bits with new panels and spray them up. The only thing is, can your insurance be arsed to sort it. In my experience, its easier to write cars off in this state.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

I've just noticed the exhaust on the floor :shock:

That must have been some impact actually.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
neildavies
3.0 24v

Post by neildavies »

Was quite a shunt, starting to ache a fair bit now, insurance told me to go to the hospital, I will later. At the end of the day, the car's worth in the reagion of £8,000, so it would take about £5,000 of damage to write it off, so I'm hoping they won't. I love it too much!!
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Wow, sorry mate, that's a pisser!

Hope you're feeling better soon, take a few days off work, tell 'em I said it's OK.

Car looks saveable to me (by the way the insurance bill for Andrea's minor tap was £1300!!!!!!!!)

If there's anything I can do you know where I am.

PS: I did get your messages but never got a chance to call you back, work's been stupid today!
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
jason j
1.8 16v

Post by jason j »

Gutted dude never a nice feeling but like you say everyone was ok after it thats the main thing!!!.

Hope they do not wright it of for you.
Foghorn Leghorn
2.0 Turbo

Post by Foghorn Leghorn »

Ouch sorry to hear that mate!!

If it were me I would want the car written off, she has hit you very hard to knock you 2-3 car lengths with a crappy little Astra. Although they can replace the floor in the boot and various panels you'll be very lucky if it hasn't knocked the chasis alignment etc out and probably wont feel quite 'right' ever again :cry:.

Newer cars are all built in with lots of crumple zones to protect the occupants, the floor pan in the boot is your rear crumple area. The downside of all this safety is cars are written off a lot easier in impacts like this, what looks like only superficial damage from outside is actually much worse under the surface and costs thousands to put right. At least the crumple zone did its job though :wink:

She obviously wasn't paying proper attention to what was happening, but at least she had the decency to hold her hands up to it all. Also. like you say, there are no serious injuries to speak of.

Hope it all turns out ok.

Fog :wink:
neildavies
3.0 24v

Post by neildavies »

In complete honesty, I really really love this car, it's what I've always wanted, the right colour leather, the car colour, the engine, mileage, equipment, everything in fact. So I do really want it back. Also, I can't get a much newer 406 coupe than my 52 plate.

I know you can't tell that much, but when I moved the car, it felt right as rain except the exhaust dragging the ground. I was thinking about it looking at both cars. Basically, I think the astra slid under my car, so rather than the boot being crumpled forward, the spare wheel well was just dented upwards, rather than forward. So I'm hoping for a new back panel, boot floor pan, bumper and exhaust. I'll find out this morning if they're repairing it and let you know.

Only friends of mine can tell you how much I love that car, so there's no doubt I want it back, even if it's written off, I'm looking to buy it back and get it sorted myself, then run it into the ground. Basically, after a look on the market, HDi coupes are a hard beast to find.

Keeping my fingers crossed that they'll repair it.

As for the coments of the girl who ran into the back of me, in fairness to her, she wasn't not paying attention, she wasn't tailing me, and there really wasn't much she could do, so I don't feel anything bad to her. Rush hour traffic always bunches up more than normal and the Brembo brakes that's on the HDi and V6 coupes are outstanding and although they stopped me in time, obviously if the car behind has normal brakes, they don't really stand a chance.

Really gutted though, especially after waking up and thinking it was a dream for a minute!! :cry:
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

On the way back from work yesterday, there a lovely crash involving a black Rover 75, with a silver 406 saloon in the back of that, and a Chavalier on the back of the 406. Poor Puggy.... getting smashed from both sides. Wouldn't wish that on any car.

Let us know how you get on Neil.. 406 Coupe HDi's are holy grails for me....

CJ
neildavies
3.0 24v

Post by neildavies »

Excellent news, no, brilliant news, no absolutely effing fantastic news! My car's costing £2,500 to repair, so will be repairable. Should get my beaut back in 2 or so weeks. I really don't care how long it takes as long as it's a good job. Basically, it's having a new bumper, boot floor, and full exhaust. The exhaust didn't have much life left in it, so that's a bit of a bonus. Got to look on the bright side.

Was dreading it being written off, as it was a hard car to find, and I can't find any others I'd like. I'd have definitely wanted another 406 Coupe. Anyway, don't have to bother now.

In the meantime, I've got this Mundeo 2.0 TDi 130bhp titanium model. It's OK, but honestly not a patch on my coupe.

Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

Great news! Must be like passing your driving test!

Whats the engine like on that TDCi Mundane? Always wanted to try them.