Location of Spot Welds on Sills

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Location of Spot Welds on Sills

Post by steve_earwig »

Ah, I was wondering about the other side - hope it's not as bad!

Turn the wire speed down, it's sizzling sausages you're after :cheesy: Unless it's a hired mig, in which case pigeon poo is the best you're going to get :roll:

I cut my teeth, well, burned my fingers with hire migs, buying my own was a bit of a revelation. Which reminds me, I have a few jobs need doing with it but I can't even lift the thing now :roll:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
ally406
2.0 Turbo

Post by ally406 »

Progress:

I cut away the bottom edge of the sill as it wasn't in too good shape and would have taken a lot of effort to clean up into a good enough state to weld onto. I found some steel corner sections down the side of my garage which I'm using to construst a rail along the bottom. It should then be "easy" to pin the inner and outer sill sections to this. The bit along at the end was how I started, but I think I'll just cut this out and continue the rail all the way.

Once I've appended the inner sill, I think I'll get the welding dude next door to do the outer sill. After that I'll fill the sill up with "Vactan" rust converter to clean up and surface rust, then stick a load of old engine oil in.

Kinda fed up with it now!
'97 Peugeot 406 1.9 TD, 316k, down for full rebuild with custom rods, TD04 and a stack of welding.
'95 Peugeot 405 1.6 GLX with XU10J4RS conversion @ 195bhp.
'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 111k.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Dude, that's going to be such a good job, it's almost shame no-one will ever see it :wink:

I kind of enjoy that sort of job, unless it's going wrong but you've cut out all the bad stuff so there's not going to be any more surprises - just keep plodding away at it. Just think, you could be tiling the bathroom... Tell you what, I'll do that, you can rake all the leaves from both my gardens :P

ally406
2.0 Turbo

Post by ally406 »

Plenty of leaves of my own to rake :P

Daily update:

I cut out the bit at the front and did it again after cleaning up the lower edge. I spot welded the section in along the bottom. Thw welding is getting a bit faster (and better). The key to MIG welding is surface preparation.

A couple more bits to go in then I'll start on the outer sill!
'97 Peugeot 406 1.9 TD, 316k, down for full rebuild with custom rods, TD04 and a stack of welding.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Oh yes, you can't weld through rust or paint! Also I have a bottle of something like 80% argon which seems to improve matters greatly. I taught my mate here how to mig weld. Well, when I say I taught him, he got me to do a few bits for him, then I showed him how to do it and he was borrowing my welder but he got fed up with bothering me so he bought his own and now he's much better at it than I am :roll:

Take it steady on the outer, what usually happens is it puts too much heat into the metal and it expands and distorts. The almighty great mig at my mate's workshop has an adjustable timer in it to cut the weld every few seconds for this reason (it's bluddy hard to weld like that!)

I have two huge and two small cherries; 5 large, two medium and 5 small apples; 3 small pears, plus one peach that I've only ever had one peach off. Sometimes I can really see the appeal of concrete :frown:

ally406
2.0 Turbo

Post by ally406 »

Well then, I continued with the inner section a little bit longer then ran out of time/will to live. I handed it to the welding place next door, and I have to say, he's done a pretty damn good job :mrgreen:

He said I'd removed so much of the sill, they had to fabricate a whole new sill section from scratch. The pictures are a bit crap, but the thing looks like factory! He's also sealed the whole thing top to bottom with 3M/Schutz underseal. It all came in at a very reasonable £100 :mrgreen:

With the body plug off I filled my weed sprayer with Vactan rust convertor and sprayed a litre or so of it up the sill. At a later date I'll plonk some engine oil in for good measure. I ain't doing this again!