Painting roof rails

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

helston90
1.8 8v

Painting roof rails

Post by helston90 »

Having just bought a 406 estate off someone using it as a painter decorator I've begin to notice how scratched up the roof rails are now that the rest of it's looking good, looks like he took the bars on and off a lot- has anyone ever painted them? Is it worth removing them to do the job or just masking the car with layers of cardboard in case of drips?

I plan to be surfing with it a hard wearing paint that anyone's used that'd be useful!?

Cheers,
2002 406 HDi 90 Rapier Estate
2001 206 1.6 GLX
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Re: Painting roof rails

Post by FarmerPug »

If i ever go to paint parts of the car and they are easily taken off i take them off because with them aerosols the spray can go anywhere else you don't want it to, i did the rear door window bar with black paint when i got the car, masked off the area around it but still overspray happened and i spent the rest of the day t cutting like mad to get rid of it, so on the other side i took it off and sprayed it away from the car.

As for what type of paint to use, don't use back to black it just flakes off, hammerite high temperature paint might be good but then its glossy.
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

I think we looked at this years ago when someone sparked up the idea of painting the rails silver (I still like the sound of that.... 8) ). IIRC we decided that you can't get the rails off without dropping the headlining, and the first step in dropping the headlining is to remove the rear side windows... and that's as far as that idea went... :oops:
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Post by waue1978 »

I've got a set in the shed from Omega's broken Rapier & he said they weren't too bad to take off. When weather (& time) permits, they'll be getting the silver paint treatment. Reckon I'll probably want a few coats of lacquer on top to protect the finish.
2000/X Peugeot 406 110 HDi LX Family 93k to 2000/W BMW 530D SE Auto 84k to 2003/03 Peugeot Partner Hdi Escapade 98k to 2003/53 Vauxhall Zafira DTi Elegance 74k