Wind Noise/ Window Seals

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

ColinCranwell
1.8 16v

Wind Noise/ Window Seals

Post by ColinCranwell »

I have a 1996 1.9 D8. It runs very well and I am trying to make small "improvements" each time I give it a service.

The car is fairly quiet but at certain times there can be quite a noise from the driver's window, the top front corner. Passenger side not so bad. I have checked and it is not the door. There is no obvious movement or water leakage. Has ayone ever replaced the window seals?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
Colin.
1996 1.9 TD Executive
250,000miles (August 2012)
ZilogJones
2.0 16v

Re: Wind Noise/ Window Seals

Post by ZilogJones »

Are you sure it's not the door?
I have the same problem in the same place and it looks like it's happening because the door is sitting a bit too high when closed and leaving a gap between the doorframe and the seal along the a-pillar. When driving at higher speeds (80-120 km/h) if I stick my fingers in the seals in that area on the inside the wind comes directly in - which I think confirms my theory that the outer seals are not doing much sealing.

I don't get any water ingress either, probably because the inner seals are ok.

Apparently some adjustments can be made to re-fit the door but it sounds like a pig of a job.
2002 2.0 HDi 90 Rapier saloon (for sale)
Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

Re: Wind Noise/ Window Seals

Post by Gary406 »

i have both seals spare out my head gasket blown 1.9 ...

its going to the scrap yard this week so be quick if you need both seals ... it was very quiet on motorway so i know these seals are doing there job proper..
2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)