Fuel Filler Flap

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

scotty73
3.0 24v

Re: Fuel Filler Flap

Post by scotty73 »

jonsowman wrote:Yes indeed waue.

In the image below, piece 1 snapped off a long time ago. Piece 2 snapped off yesterday only leaving the top one, which doesn't really hold the flap on very firmly.

Also the reinforcing bits (circled) don't exist on my car, I assume that picture is from a D9? This seems to be some Peugeot added when they realised reinforcement was required.

Your middle piece (piece 1) has snapped so has mine but piece 2 is intact so is the top one lets call this piece 3.... both piece 2 and 3 on mine just pop off with gentle persuation so if yours is the same it should be easy to remove... i did take a pic of piece 2 popped off but photobucket is playing up.
2000 W 2.0hdi 110 7 seat estate Blue.

And this glue is for my submarine not for putting up you're f*c*ing noses, and dont think i dont notice cos i do... Buy your own f*c*ing glue!!! Fatty Lewis Twin town 1997.
Senna007
1.6 8v

Post by Senna007 »

What I did with mine is screw a small self tapping screw into the top r/h side under the cap just enough to spring the door open.. Works a treat!!
gtv
1.8 16v

Post by gtv »

This is how I fixed mine, I got a small spring, I put a small bit of heatshink tubing around both ends so it won't mark the paintwork.
Siliconed the spring into place.
And it opens everytime with no problems :)

To do list:~
Install bluetooth hands free kit DONE
Install Sony mp3 headunit and changer DONE
Install trip computer DONE
Install auto dipping mirror DONE
Fit new wheels DONE
Install cruise control
Replace sill seals DONE

jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

Right folks, so, I can now delete the picture in my photobucket account now that nobody needs it?
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Sorry Jasper, which picture is this? If you link to it I can nick it for the 406oc photobucket account. If I didn't already :supafrisk:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Pink192
1.8 8v

Post by Pink192 »

I had the broken fuel flap(spring part broken off), most people put a rag under lever, then open flap.

I have replaced mine with a peg spring, unable to attach as it is a PDF, so please go to: Facebook peugeot 406 uk.

or please advise how to upload it here.

Rgds
Steve
Pink192
1.8 8v

Post by Pink192 »

Pink192 wrote:I had the broken fuel flap(spring part broken off), most people put a rag under lever, then open flap.

I have replaced mine with a peg spring, unable to attach as it is a PDF, so please go to: Facebook peugeot 406 uk.

or please advise how to upload it here.

Rgds
Steve

Sorted now, what a pain, see attached

Rgds
Steve
Attachments
Petrol Flap.jpg
(72.57 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
sotirisp
1.6 8v

Post by sotirisp »

...many thanks to the members of this forum for helping me solve the problem with the fuel filler flap,
I chose the easy (lazy) way to do this :
:D

works just fine :)

EDIT: I replaced the crappy mobile photos with some decent ones...
Also, it's worth mentioning that i added a stainless steel washer between the screw and the peg spring
because the washer that is already attached on the screw seems to be soft (plastic or something)
so it wouldn't hold the peg spring tight in its place..
Peugeot 406 ST 2.0 HDi 110 Sedan (1999 - DW10ATED)
johntl
2.2 16v

Post by johntl »

Just read the posts on the filler flap problem , as I just had the problem at the petrol station.
I could not find a spring or clothes peg so I came up with the idea of using a small bulldog clip and attach it using the bottom left screw, seems to work well .
As I always say use what you got to make it work.Would post a picture , but would not know where to start!!
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

If you glue a rubber grommet on the side of the opening just in front of the catch it will exert just enough force to push the flap away from the catch so you can pull it open.

Peter
ajax2061

Post by ajax2061 »

This was going to be my next question as i have this great pics though I came up with an other idea for mine as needed a quick solution, it is a bit blue peterish I used double sided tape and stuck a sponge on the inside of the flap. It is working but in damp it seams to get wet and dent in so not as effective will try a spring ASAP
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

'Omega' came up with the same solution as me and probably the simplest. Cut a length from a fairly weak coil spring of appropriate diameter and fit one end under one of the self tappers opposite the flap. You can experiment with the length and strength to get give the right amount of 'push'.

When you have done it put some grease or Waxoil on it or it will go rusty.

Peter
hullcitytilidie
1.8 8v

Post by hullcitytilidie »

In my opinion the clothes peg spring is much too strong and causes further little plastic bits to break off later on?

Get a piece of silicon tubing around 1/2" in diameter. I used a bit off one of those stretchy keep fit bands - about 3" long. I punched a 4mm hole right through in the middle of the tube so your screw fits through. Take out the screw that holds the spring, throw the spring away and use the screw through the tubing, replace so that half the tube is horizontal and the other half presses against the flap door. It works a treat and is nice and gentle so won't cause further damage.
2003 2.2 HDi 136 Exec estate.
Wag
1.8 16v

Post by Wag »

I found my filler flap getting weaker, to the point it wouldn't open the other day. Luckily, the bloke behind me at the pumps saw what was happening and the fact that I didn't have a five foot arm, so he assisted.

Checking it later I couldn't really fathom out what was wrong, it was a bit creaky, so I sprayed silicone on the hinge, that didn't work, but there was a little black piece of plastic sticking out at the bottom of the hinge on the main moulding, it looked like a "pusher" or something. Did that have a spring that fell off? I haven't got a clue. I just touched it and it fell off.

I used the peg spring trick together with a steel washer under the plastic one and clamped the spring arm between the two. Hey presto, it works a treat. But I pushed the spring on to the end of the hinge pin, so it goes in to the screw clamp horizontally.

👍