xxWater under rear seat fix**

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

gtv
1.8 16v

xxWater under rear seat fix**

Post by gtv »

Well after owning the car for 2 weeks found my first couple of faults, I have seen a number of people reporting that the rear seat bases can rust and fail and on inspection I found the sound proofing wet. On removal you can see its only wet in one patch under each seat base and there is a ring in the middle with no signs of water running down any side.

You can see there is a plug at the bottom of the seat base metalwork, this looks like it has been sealed from the factory but when I touched it it lifted straight up, this was the same on the other side also as it looks like the sealant has gone off. Under this plug is the fuel tank and I have found under heavy rain water settles on the top of the tank as you drive and can flick up the plug and this is how the water is getting in.

To fix this I brought some grommets and where a tight fit into the hole (its 35mm) cleaned the metal work and applied some silicone sealant to outside lip also.
Once the grommet is fitted I also applied some more sealant to make sure there was a good seal.

A couple of days later and a lot of heavy rain and going though puddles I can confirm the rear is as dry as bone. This is for a D8 estate but not sure if the other models have the same floor pan but worth checking, the seats were always dry its just the soundproofing that was soaked.
To do list:~
Install bluetooth hands free kit DONE
Install Sony mp3 headunit and changer DONE
Install trip computer DONE
Install auto dipping mirror DONE
Fit new wheels DONE
Install cruise control
Replace sill seals DONE