Accidental Fading of Paintwork - Scouring

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

trufflehunt
3.0 24v

Accidental Fading of Paintwork - Scouring

Post by trufflehunt »

Hi

The paintwork on the wing mirrors of my HDI were in a bit of a state, so as a temporary measure I decided
to spray them matt black. I masked everything up, and did the job last night. Took the masking/newspapers
off and admired my handiwork.

Today, I was admiring it again, when I noticed that little tiny black dots, almost invisible unless you looked in the right light, but definitely feelable when I ran my hand over... had drifted on to the glass, and also a little onto the painted door surrounds.

I wondered, how can I get that off. So I got some warm soapy water, and one of those kitchen sponge pads for dushes.
I cleaned off the tiny black spots. But when the water started to dry , the paint seemed to have the gloss taken off.

I just thought that I'd taken the right precautions, and that these pads would not abrade the paint.

Has anyone any direct experience of this, and what they successfully did about it?

A brief glance by an uninterested looker would probably never notice, but I do, and so would anyone giving it more than a casual glance.

The paint code is KRFC, Sherwood Green ( aka British Racing Green ). The C means that rather than lacquered, the paint is a varnished metallic, if that is significant.

Help ?

Just to say... When the paint is wet, when I've run over it with a wet sponge, the paintwork looks fine and shiny. It's only when it dries...'
2006 Toyota Yaris 1.0 T3
1993 Mazda MX5 Mk1 1.6
2000 "W" HDI 110 Executive Saloon (Recycled).
Nightshade
1.8 16v

Re: Accidental Fading of Paintwork - Scouring

Post by Nightshade »

Hmm, I have had something kind of similar when I sprayed some Astra mirrors many moons ago. I put the little lumps down to not flatting the paint between coats. I.e sanding back between light coats.
I'm not sure about the gloss coming off - you've said that your sprayed them matt?? If the finish seems to have changed, it could be that the paint wasn't truly hardened before you washed it, or perhaps a reaction with the soap?
I'd try flatting it right back and spraying again. Good coat of primer, lots of thin layers of colour and flat back between. Lacquer on top.
1.9 XUD, 97 estate
trufflehunt
3.0 24v

Post by trufflehunt »

Nightshade wrote:Hmm, I have had something kind of similar when I sprayed some Astra mirrors many moons ago. I put the little lumps down to not flatting the paint between coats. I.e sanding back between light coats.
I'm not sure about the gloss coming off - you've said that your sprayed them matt?? If the finish seems to have changed, it could be that the paint wasn't truly hardened before you washed it, or perhaps a reaction with the soap?
I'd try flatting it right back and spraying again. Good coat of primer, lots of thin layers of colour and flat back between. Lacquer on top.
Hi

The job I did on the mirrors was excellent. The problem is that some of the spray, drifting in the breeze, went on the windows, and door surrounds. These are what , by using a kitchen pad, I have accidently managed to fade.

As I said, when I wet the green paint, it looks fine, all nice and shiny. What I'm trying to find out, without playing around and possibly compounding my mistake, is whether there is a way to restore the gloss that doesn't involve visits to paint mixing shops, and full blown exercises in panel spraying.
2006 Toyota Yaris 1.0 T3
1993 Mazda MX5 Mk1 1.6
Nightshade
1.8 16v

Post by Nightshade »

Ah! Sorry, I'm with you now bud.

I have no idea why that would happen. I guess my gut reaction would be to try a little t-cut?
1.9 XUD, 97 estate
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Yup, try t-cut. Should be OK unless you've gone through the laquer.
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
trufflehunt
3.0 24v

Post by trufflehunt »

Thanks for that.

TBH, after yesterday I was a bit scared of going anywhere near the paint with anything abrasive.

So earlier this morning, before it got too hot, I delved into my big carbag, where I keep stuff accumulated for ever.
Pulled out a tin of car polish that I haven't used in about 10 years, the kind that requires some effort, and went round the scuffed bits.
They've come up quite well, not perfect if I look close, but pretty much in keeping with the typical state of paintwork on a
car that's seen some life.

When I'm feeling more confident, I'll try the T-Cut on an unobtrusive bit, and see how that goes.
2006 Toyota Yaris 1.0 T3
1993 Mazda MX5 Mk1 1.6
midsdaz
3.0 24v

Post by midsdaz »

Use g3 polish good stuff then get ur self some mer use the g3 to get light scratches out then the mer will just wax ur car with a nice shine
2.1 glx p reg d9 half leather electric seats d9 centre console leather steering wheel front lag splitter de badged front end strut brace all grey bits of interior is now black
Things to do finish off fitting leather door cards,coil overs,window tint, fit wolfrace wheels with 20 mm spacers 225.45.17 and the list will continue
flyin2wheeler
1.8 16v

Post by flyin2wheeler »

be very worthwhile to take the car to a car valet centre and ask them to buff the damaged areas
won't cost much,under £40 should cure it
They will machine polish it with some thing like farecla g3 or g6
even have a go your self with T cut and if you manage to buff through the lacquer with T cut...u must have arms like arnie!
I been in car body trade for over 20 years and trust me,if you are doing it by hand,no chance shall u t cut through the lacquer.
You talk about your car having varnish metallic....no.....its base coat and lacquer on your car
varnish would not be allowed near a car,it just would not work
anything metallic finish,for sure...its lacquer
even most solid colour cars after 2k are lacquered
90s cars of solid colour were mainly 2 pack direct gloss finish
hope this helps