Rear seat stuck down

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

helston90
1.8 8v

Rear seat stuck down

Post by helston90 »

Over the weekend I had to move some rather large items around and so lowered the rear seats in my 406 estate as I've done 000's of times before.
However when putting everything back together the built in centre inertia seatbelt had managed to lock in place and therefore wouldn't give me enough slack to raise the seat back again.
In the end I had to unbolt the strap at the other end to gain the slack and lift and bolt back in place and now it flows freely in and out.
I'm now concerned this may happen again and find me stuck again- has anyone had this before? or heard of a way of preventing it?
Thanks in advance.
2002 406 HDi 90 Rapier Estate
2001 206 1.6 GLX
benczuk
3.0 24v

Re: Rear seat stuck down

Post by benczuk »

Happened to me once and I had to do the same rescue job as yourself, the bolt goes through the floor so its an idea to give it a good coating of something so it doesn't rust up in the sea air in case it does happens again.

It hasn't happened since, but I don't fold that side down without lifting the base up in case it does. If it were to happen with the base folded down you cant get at the bottom anchorage.
2002 HDi 2.2 GTX Estate de-fapped
puggy
Resident Pervert

Post by puggy »

before folding the seat down pull enough of the offending seat belt out
to tie a loose knot in it this stops it fully retracting so stopping the belt from locking .
.. ooh are those drugs for me Matron
stuartkeith
1.8 8v

Post by stuartkeith »

puggy wrote:before folding the seat down pull enough of the offending seat belt out
to tie a loose knot in it this stops it fully retracting so stopping the belt from locking .
Yep I do this everytime now. I spent 30minutes with a toolkit and a 2inch gap undoing the sodding bolt. It felt like a foot long, and I got cramp bad!
2002 2.0l HDI 90BHP 406 Estate.
martinez
1.8 8v

Post by martinez »

as I've also suffered this fate, I did try to remove the bolt but it may be coroded, where is it underneath ? easy to get to ?
piglet
2.0 Turbo

Post by piglet »

Mines the same, but now I can't pull it out with the seat in the upright position.
Worse still, I can't see how to change the reel AND I've got MOT looming :cry:
Any suggesions?
2003 estate Hdi90 Siemens Fully pimped (roofrack&towbar)
benczuk
3.0 24v

Post by benczuk »

It wont move with the seat in the upright position as it will be tensioned and locked on the rachet.

As its up though its an easy job to undo the bolt where the end attaches under the seat base. This will loosen the tension which should allowing it to retract and disengage the ratchet.

I should mention that I have a new theory on why this happens. I have noticed that sometimes the black plastic rivet stop in the fabric of the seatbelt will make it through the plastic surround at the top of the seat. (which on my car is pretty loosely clicked in, if at all) This allows the seat belt to retract too far when the seat is folder down creating the problem.
2002 HDi 2.2 GTX Estate de-fapped
piglet
2.0 Turbo

Post by piglet »

Thanks Benczuk,
I should have said, the bolt is already out, I struggled and got cramp just to get the seat back up.
What you say about the travel limit stud makes sense, playing with it last night I managed to get it to uncoil by tugging at different angles and when it's out it seems to work fine.
My plastic seat top trim is completely knackered and doesn't stay in the hole at all, I will look at the press stud tonight.
2003 estate Hdi90 Siemens Fully pimped (roofrack&towbar)