Front bumper chrome trim replacement?

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

jlmacd
1.8 16v

Front bumper chrome trim replacement?

Post by jlmacd »

Hello. Firstly, if this has already been posted elsewhere, my apologies!
My 406 is of 1998 vintage (S reg) GLX saloon - does this make it a D8 or D9 as referred to in these pages (am guessing it is D8 - is that same as Mk1 ?)

To the job in hand:
I want to try replace the chrome trims on my front bumper, which are now pretty much well past their best and wondered if
a) this is possible - i.e. can the parts still be got from Peugeot and
b) if anyone who may have done this could offer any pointers as to the ease/difficulty of doing this? Is it necessary to completely remove the bumper from the vehicle or can the trims be replaced in situ? I had heard tell that the black 'crash pads' which the chrome trims are attached to could be removed without taking the whole bumper off and then reassembled after swapping the trims out. Anyone verify if this is the case?

Many thanks, in advance, if any kind soul can help here!
rwb
3.0 24v

Re: Front bumper chrome trim replacement?

Post by rwb »

I've seen the black rub strips removed and the chrome inserts replaced, but unfortunately I wasn't paying attention :roll:
That was with the front bumper off, but my feeling is that this is unnecessary -- if you already know how to do it :roll: :roll:

If you have a honeycomb grille and clear headlight glass then it's definitely a D9/MK2. In the changeover period, which I think is around T-plate, there are some mix-and-match combinations.
I don't see many D8s with chrome inserts in the rub strips -- GLX and Executive only I think, and most D8s seem to be L or LX. I don't know if the rub strips on the D9 bumper are the same shape as the ones on the D8 bumper; only one way to find out :wink:

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k