Sunroof Drainpipes

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

trufflehunt
3.0 24v

Sunroof Drainpipes

Post by trufflehunt »

Over Christmas, leakage from blocked pipes melted the electric seat ECU on my HDI Exec.

At the time, I taped a binbag over the sunroof, and replaced the ECU, so the electrics now OK.

Starting to have a few dry days now, I've been wondering what is the best easily
available implement to clear the pipes..?
2006 Toyota Yaris 1.0 T3
1993 Mazda MX5 Mk1 1.6
2000 "W" HDI 110 Executive Saloon (Recycled).
grasmere59
3.0 24v

Re: Sunroof Drainpipes

Post by grasmere59 »

When i cleared mine i removed the "A" pillar post plastic covers (they pull off),i had to disconnect the alarm sensors but you might not have them,you can see the sunroof drain pipes,i then pulled them out and cleared the ends and shoved them back where they came from.It only takes about 20-30 mins to do it,what i should have done was cut the end of the pipes off as there is a crude one way valve affair which the rubber goes brittle and looses it's suppleness and i think restricts the flow of the drain,mine has started leaking again so i've got to do mine aswell.There is a more comprehensive post with pics on the site somewhere.
2011 "11" Mondeo TXS est 200ps in Grey
2003 "53" 110 hdi Executive Estate in Diablo Red
2001 "51" BMW 530i sport in Black
2012 "62" Yamaha XT1200
1974 "M" Honda CB500/4
1994 "M" Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
1998 "S" Honda XRV 750
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

To clear sunroof drains,
ive always just used alength of curtain wire, the stuff for net curtains,
cut the ends off so theres no sharp edges and push the length through the pipes, saves dismantling stuff to clear them,
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

This might help
5oc7Nuef9ec

I didnt have any proper pipe cleaners so just used a bit of electrical wire which did the job
davet

Post by davet »

Interesting, didn't know about the widgets on the ends of the pipes, nor that you could get the pipes out, nor that there were drain holes at the back. I might yet get a dry car!
I clear out the pipes - every time I get water running down the door pillars - with a length of 1/8" PTFE tubing - slides down there easily and no sharp edges. I have used a large syringe with some silicon rubber tube to force flush the pipes before now with some success.

Love my 406, 195k & counting, 110k in my ownership, regular 45mpg, sometimes 50 and I never drive slowly.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Be careful when shoving wires etc down the tubes When I first did mine, I gave the wire too much welly and pushed the tube off the spout at the sunroof..!!!
I only noticed when I flushed the tube out to test it and the whole jug went all over the inside of the car. I did curse a bit.. :x
Now I undo the grab rails, visor and part of the door seal then gently lower the headlining and remove A pillar cover. Does indeed only take about 15mins per side but at least you can check everything before testing....
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
bangernom1cs
2.0 16v

Post by bangernom1cs »

Ann occasional flush with some carpet cleaner (non-foaming) helps.
Had to do mine quite a bit.
i trimmed the rubber widget off the bottom of the drain pipes. Dont worry as the earlier D8 cars didnt have them so
there doesnt seem to be any fumes transfer into the cabin.
Some oics on the knowledge base.
T