seat belt stuck 406 estate

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

martinez
1.8 8v

seat belt stuck 406 estate

Post by martinez »

middle rear seatbelt has stuck fully tight against the seat back and I can't move it. basically the inertia seems to have locked up but I can't free it or pull it away from the backrest.
is there some way to release the inertia system and free up the belt ? or do I have to take the backrest apart to get to it ?
406 Rapier 2003 estate
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: seat belt stuck 406 estate

Post by Doggy »

2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
oldcol
1.8 8v

Post by oldcol »

I had exactly the same problem. One of my sons is a vehicle body repair tech and says he has seen this a number of times on the 406 estate ~ his theory is that it cab happen if you are folding the backrest down and are a bit over enthusiastic which jams the mechanism. Often so tightly you cannot raise the seat back again. The immediate fix is to remove the two bolts [one at each side] at the bottom of the seat back freeing it from the body work, lay it flat then tip it up a bit and you will be able to pull the belt off the reel. Pull enough off to put a loose knot in it then refix the seat bolts then undo the knot a let the belt retract. The reel of course is built into the seat back and it seems that if this has happened once it will happen again. However, if you want a dirt cheap ongoing fix [about a quid] buy a strong Bulldog clip from your local office supply shop and when you want to drop the seat back again, first pull out about 2' of the belt then clap the Bulldog clip on the belt where it comes out of the seat back. If it locks again all you have to do is take off the Bulldog clip and slowly let the loose length of belt retract as you raise the seat back.
benczuk
3.0 24v

Post by benczuk »

It happens if the seat belt plastic rivet has gone though the 'slot' at the top of the seat back.

This allows the belt to retract further when you fold it down causing the inertia reel to lock.

you will probably find that the plastic surround where the middle belt goes into the seat back is not secured properly or has its clips snapped off.

Just check the rivet is in the right place before folding the seats and you will be fine. If you do get stuck only option is to undo the bold at the bottom of the seat belt with a long socket extension. DON'T fold the seat up and down to try to release it, you will only make it worse!
2002 HDi 2.2 GTX Estate de-fapped
MacWomble
1.8 16v

Post by MacWomble »

benczuk wrote: DON'T fold the seat up and down to try to release it, you will only make it worse!
And DON't cut it either, like someone I know.........It's an MOT failure !!!!

Undo the bolts at the bottom as advised, I pulled some slack and tied a knot in it to prevent it happening again.
MacWomble.
Silver 406 GLX Estate, 1998 2.1 12 valve. 302,000 miles and counting.
White Renault 5 GT Turbo, 1991 58,000 miles, all original, mint condition.