Driver's Door Lock - FAO Steve Earwig

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

panadero
2.0 16v

Driver's Door Lock - FAO Steve Earwig

Post by panadero »

hello Steve - looking back through old topics I see you made a very useful observation about
the glove-box lock barrel being the same as the driver's door lock barrel. I removed my faulty driver's door lock for
examination; couldn't fix it but was not prepared to pay £150 for a new one so I've just left it and lock the
car via the passenger door or via c/l. Would it be possible do you think to swap the glove-box door lock
barrel for the driver door's? Cheers,
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Driver's Door Lock - FAO Steve Earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Did I? :shock: I remember saying the glovebox light switch is the same as the troublesome handbrake switch but nothing about the locks!! Please post me a link because it's obviously something I've forgotten :oops:

To be honest in my experience glovebox locks are inferior to door locks but I could well imagine PSA cutting costs by making them all the same. If not the whole thing (they have different part numbers) but maybe the barrel. What you could do is pull them both apart and see if you can make one good door lock.

God yes I see the problem, almost 160 quid :evil:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
panadero
2.0 16v

Post by panadero »

steve, your observation on earlier posting can be found on page 2 under "Estate Door Lock Problem".
The ignition key operates both the driver's door lock and the glove-box so they must share
a common barrel. So I think this could well be worth a try. I suppose the other option is to swap over the
passenger door lock barrel but the glove-box route sounds a lot less hassle. I am not bothered if the glove-box does
not lock. Anyway if I am passing a scrappy I could get presumably get another glove-box lock anytime.
Yes this could be a runner - on the other hand it could end up as just another of my crackpot ideas. Anyone
else want to jump in?
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

No guarantees but it must be worth a try.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
oldcol
1.8 8v

Post by oldcol »

Hmmm, now that is an interesting thought. I was going to do a post about the drivers door lock for a mate of mine. On his car sometimes the key will just keep turning around without doing anything. If this is wear and tear of the numbered discs in the barrel then maybe the glove box lock will help, the individual discs will be the same but whether the barrel its self can be taken apart i don't know yet. Very often the tumbler disc part is just held in place by a circlip. I will investigate this weekend and if no one else has offered the solution will post what i find.