sump guard?

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: sump guard?

Post by steve_earwig »

So anyway yes... In the end I used the thinner of the two sorts of caged nut (6941 81) although I suspect either would have done the job. They go through the hole, push them horizontally towards the round hole until they're flat, then push them back again so they lock in place:

Instead of welding the brackets on Mika suggested using self- drilling screws and sent me along to the local (tiny) hardware store where I purchased the biggest they had - 6mm. Then we offered the guard up again, bolted the brackets to the guard and Mika drilled the two lower screws in:
Then we took the guard off and Mika drilled the horizontal ones in. On the lhs we had to take the intercooler pipe off but on the rhs Mika struggled to get it in past the compressor and it ended up a bit drunk.

The r/h bracket looked a bit too close to the intercooler pipe
So Mika took it off for some modifications...

While Mika was off doing that I took a pic with the camera lying on the ground:

Better:

The other problem we had was with the cage nut in the front crossmember, I measured it and ordered what I thought was the appropriate nut but it was too small. I suspect one like 6941 C0 (which is for the plastic undertray) would do but, rather than sod about ordering stuff again, I hunted around the workshop and found an M8 flanged nut, which Mika ground down to fit through the hole and tacked in place with the MIG.

Mika also cut down the two M10 screws that hold the guard to the brackets as they're ridiculously long and the l/h one also gets a bit too close to the intercooler again. 30mm would be plenty.

Was it interesting? Yes.
Did it end up being cheaper than a flimsy plastic one? Probably not.
Will it keep the water out? Umm... :supafrisk:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

sh*t! I didn't know it was made of Metal, you done a good job I think, most would have thrown the towel in after the first trial fit.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

steve_earwig wrote:it weighs 12.4Kg
What did you think it was made out of, wood? :P

Come on, I've been banging on about this for years so of course it was going to go on, even if I had to mutilate the front of the car to fit it :twisted:

gray
1.8 16v

Post by gray »

A problem I just had this week. Watch out for the power steering line resting on the top of this guard as the motor vibrates it wore a pinhole in the metal part of the line!
Gray
2000 D9 2.0 litre RFV saloon
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

You have one of these too? I was sure someone mentioned it but I couldn't find anything :(

Thank you for the warning, I didn't notice anything that close but then again we were concentrating on the things that were giving us headaches. I'll take another look next time the car is on the lift, which maybe soon as I need to change the tyres over for winter...

gray
1.8 16v

Post by gray »

So had that pressure line brazed today, all is back in and running fine I put a rubber hose over the metal line for protection. Now onto the driver s seat electric as I have posted in electrical thread.
Gray
Gray
2000 D9 2.0 litre RFV saloon