Wiper arms from a Citroën C5

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

KozmoNaut
2.0 Turbo

Wiper arms from a Citroën C5

Post by KozmoNaut »

Well, I've tried it in order to fit non-universal flat blade wipers, and it doesn't work.

The bottom bit on the driver side wiper arm scrapes across the plastic scuttle, and the arms are long enough that you have to go down to a 550mm on the driver side and a 350mm on the passenger side, otherwise the blades will extend past the windscreen. And I don't think you can even find a 350mm wiper that fits the arms. The passenger side arm in particular is way too long, and from looking at other cars, it looks like the 406 has the mount much closer to the centre line of the vehicle, unlike most newer cars where it's mounted significantly closer to the driver side.

So that idea's scrapped, anyone want to buy a set of used LHD wiper arms for a Citroën C5 II? :-P

Any other suggestions for a set of flat blade wiper arms that fit are welcome. My best guess is that it needs to be from a smaller car (Fiat 500, for instance), in order for the passenger side arm to be short enough.
2000 406 TS4 2.2 saloon
jasper5
3.0 24v

Re: Wiper arms from a Citroën C5

Post by jasper5 »

I have flat blade wipers (Valeo) fitted to the 406 Estate I just bought, the blades are....driver's side 600mm, passenger's side 550mm (right hand drive.)

Our Admin Dai Rees might be able to tell you how he got these to fit.
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

jasper5 wrote:I have flat blade wipers (Valeo) fitted to the 406 Estate I just bought, the blades are....driver's side 600mm, passenger's side 550mm (right hand drive.)

They're standard "retro" fit aero blades, fit straight onto the standard arms. I think the Valeo or Bosch ones are around £30 a pair but you can get budget versions on ebay for £4 delivered :o

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Aero-Fl ... 3f11996fe0

I tried budget ones previously, they work well for a few months but need changing more frequently, hence the Valeo. Do the expensive ones last 6 or 7 times longer than the cheap ones, probably not :roll: :lol:
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
KozmoNaut
2.0 Turbo

Post by KozmoNaut »

DaiRees wrote:
jasper5 wrote:I have flat blade wipers (Valeo) fitted to the 406 Estate I just bought, the blades are....driver's side 600mm, passenger's side 550mm (right hand drive.)

They're standard "retro" fit aero blades, fit straight onto the standard arms. I think the Valeo or Bosch ones are around £30 a pair but you can get budget versions on ebay for £4 delivered :o
I've got a set of those on there right now (600mm and 550mm), but I would prefer a new set of wiper arms specifically made for flat blades.

I did the swap on my Fiat Panda, found a set of wiper arms from a Fiat 500 and it both worked and looked much better than the retrofit blades. Of course, the Panda/500 swap had the enormous benefit that they're the same car underneath the styling, but one of them comes with flat blade wipers standard.

I guess I'll have to carry a measuring tape with me and measure the length of any possibly-suitable wipers I come across. I'm sure I'll get a lot of weird glances, but that's life.
2000 406 TS4 2.2 saloon
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Asda are doing them on & off, for £4 each. None when I looked, so fitted a set of Bosch std ones £18 / pair at the factors.
Next time I was in Asda, guess what had re-appeared. :roll:
Haven't worn the Bosch set out yet so have yet to try them. Similar (flat) ones were OK on the old 406
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Costco's are selling Goodyear one's (if anyones got a Membership/card.id go there for them)
6 quid each iirc, but well worth the mone'y.
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

KozmoNaut wrote:I guess I'll have to carry a measuring tape with me and measure the length of any possibly-suitable wipers I come across. I'm sure I'll get a lot of weird glances, but that's life.
I've done that in the past, been wandering around car parks with a measuring tape, never found a perfect combination :(

I vaguely remember someone on here doing it though, IIRC it involved cutting and reassembling an arm. Worth a search?

Edit: Here it is viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8451&p=88087
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
oldskoolskool
1.8 16v

Post by oldskoolskool »

I wonder if the size of the screen and relation of the wipers is similar to the coupe, someone on there has found a combination that works, I think one arm was from an astra, and the other something else.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4
2003 - Aegean Blue - 2.2L HDi - S

Nicowico pipes, de-fapped, de-egr, K&N, pipecraft stainless exhaust, Re-map, paddle clutch & SMF, Nakamichi cd400, 5000k hid's & led's

Styled by piniferina, modified with shopping trolleys and car doors.
jonny81191
2.0 16v

Post by jonny81191 »

Cut and weld the arms? Just swap the fittings fron the end basically.
KozmoNaut
2.0 Turbo

Post by KozmoNaut »

DaiRees wrote: I vaguely remember someone on here doing it though, IIRC it involved cutting and reassembling an arm. Worth a search?

Edit: Here it is viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8451&p=88087
That's certainly an option, although I'd have to learn how to weld first :-P
2000 406 TS4 2.2 saloon