Prepping for paint - where to buy?

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

gumby6371
3.0 24v

Prepping for paint - where to buy?

Post by gumby6371 »

I need to swap my dented wing for the spare one that came with the car, same colour but with a few scratches.
My plan is to rub down and get it to primer stage with elbow grease and a rattle can then take it for professional finishing at a local place with a colour match machine.

Question - where is the best/cheapest place to get a decent block and a quality sanding kit

Cheers

Gareth
1996 1.9 TD LX (Gone but not forgotten)
2003 2.2 HDI SE
lozz
3.0 24v

Re: Prepping for paint - where to buy?

Post by lozz »

Sanding stuff,ijust use halford's

professional finishing. you mean take wing in and have it sprayed?
it may still not match. paint fades/lightens with age.
appropriate way wouid be to spray the wing whilst on the car and have the paint Blended/blown in.

that's the way ido them anyway or sometimes new paint sticks out like a sore phumb.
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Post by gumby6371 »

There is a place near me that can match your colour so 'shouldn't' be too much difference other than being shinier with no scratched/swirl marks, at least thats the plan!
2003 2.2 HDI SE
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

As lozz said, if you were to take it to a pro sprayshop to have the whole job done they would at least blow in down part of the door as well, this is to (loose the colour change).
Which cannot be avoided even by a prospayer, this is due to colour fade / change due to UV ray's & acid rain ect ect, but this is if you want a 100% seamless colour match.
You might be happy with it 95% & this is as good as you will get it if you choose to have the wing sprayed off the car, even by a pro sprayer that has (colour matched the paint to your car).
As for where to get supplys, any local automotive refinshing factors can supply you with all you will need & more, most big 'ish' towns have at least one.
My local one is Hex Holdings & they are very good & much cheeper than halfords.
You will also be able to get you paint matched up for you & mixed there,
they will even be able to supply it in a rattle can if you want to save even more cash & have a go yourself :supafrisk: .

ps I wouldn't bother rubing it down & priming it yourself as it will more than likely end up reacting & they will have to rub it all down again & seal it costing you more cash.
Best advice is speak to friends / workmates / family to find someone who's good & go & ask there advice :)

Hope this helps, Best of luck DDD.
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

If your not botherd about it blending in.
you might as well just spray the wing your self.

go in local quid shop.grab primer& laquer from there. then have paint made up at paint place. save's a fair few quid.
if its Met paint you will need somewhere warm to spray it tho.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

This is the mrs car.
front wing as been sprayed by a pro'

see the difference. ?
punto side.PNG
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Post by gumby6371 »

I really want to get the wing swapped over soon but it is coming up to christmad so I might do the pound shop primer/lalaquer followed by made up rattle can option.
It will look better than the big dent and scuffed look its got now and I may get it redone properly when funds allow.

Thanks for the responses all
2003 2.2 HDI SE
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

What ido with Met paint is
get bucket of hot water -not too hot just as hot as you wouid put your hands in. (washing up temp)

fire can in for 5mins or so. & dry can off and then spray
it will spray finer and neater less chance of runs. do same with laquer.

Shame your not near-er or you couid of used my garage & spray gun and compressor. :(