Estate spoiler removal

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

mjb
Site Admin

Estate spoiler removal

Post by mjb »

Anyone know how easy it is to remove the tailgate spoiler from estates?
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Estate spoiler removal

Post by steve_earwig »

I'm sure someone else will know better but I had the one off my D8 and it was quite easy to remove, a few torx I think. Only problems I had was getting it caught somehow between the roof and tailgate and almost squashing it in there (can't really remember how I managed that, maybe I needed to open the tailgate again and it fell in between, who knows) and one of the screws holding the brake light in was so corroded it sheared off when I tried to undo it.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Cheers.

Hmm at £1.80 I should probably replace the rear washer jet while I'm at it - damn thing's corroded and has a knackered one-way valve so you need to hold down the wash for ages before it starts dribbling...

I'm actually wanting to pull the spoiler off as respray practice. My bimmer's got a scuffed bumper (turns out the parking sensors don't pick up the foot-high step out the front of my house until you've driven half way up it... :oops:) but I don't want to risk painting it unless I know I can do a reasonable job. The wife's spoiler has virtually no lacquer left on it, so I reckon it'll make a great learning aid since I can't really make it much worse :supafrisk: . Just got to get some wire wool and scratch it to buggery afterwards to match the rest of the bodywork :lol:
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

I never took the one off mine but I'm pretty sure it's just a few screws. I did hear about a guy who had his spoier ripped off by a bike rack, that's why my estate never had the bike rack fitted (taking the kids out with our bikes dear, where are your keys? :cheesy: :supafrisk: )

Seen a few cars driving around without the spoiler, looks very wrong!
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi, yes it is only a couple of screws, piece of cake. Don't forget to unplug the brake light first rather then geting the wire snagged halfway through.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
azazel
1.8 16v

Post by azazel »

I removed mine the other day, four torx screws and a smaller two to remove the light and washer. Resprayed mine with aerosols as the paint was fading and peeling. Looks much better now!