Water leaking through rear door onto footwell (PICS)

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

jason1987
3.0 24v

Water leaking through rear door onto footwell (PICS)

Post by jason1987 »

Any ideas how to stop this? I took the door card off and taped up the insulation a bit more but cant work out how the water is getting in?
sym
1.8 16v

Re: Water leaking through rear door onto footwell (PICS)

Post by sym »

when mine was leaking not so long ago i made a little cut in the door seal, its not pretty but it stops the water from going in the car.
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

Do you have a sunroof? Blocked sunroof drains are a common culprit.

Otherwise, what's the seal like between the door and the A-pillar and roof?

I was getting this but never got to the bottom of it:

I suspect the green hole. The red hole is red herring.

You can see here under the rubber seal that there's a trail of silt from the gap forwards (to the right).
I still think the water was getting in here and running round the A-pillar to the top of the sill.
What's yours like? Could give you some clues?

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

I suspect that I'm not seeing what I'm meant to be seeing :oops:
The door strip is wet and it looks like the water is getting past it into the car. I'd suspect it isn't pressing against the door snugly enough to stop the water somewhere. It might help if you clean all the door shuts, mud doesn't make such a good seal :wink:
Is that mud or something nastier? I think all that seal does is stop the water going under the door and leaving the "tread" covered in mud. It's biggest issue is when the clips are missing and the water pours into the sill but it doesn't actually have anything to do with keeping water out of the car.
That door check looks rather wet, I can see the drain looks clear but is the door filling up with water? Is the seal against the glass really loose? so that water is gushing past it into the door?
Plant potatoes here :P It looks like the weather seal is pressing quite nicely against the door anyway.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

All you need to do is clean (and polish) the bottoms of the doors - the 'seams' - and then clean (and treat with silicone dressing) the door rubbers.

Just looks like the door is trying to drain normally but the water's getting stopped by all the crud and spilling over into the car.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
jason1987
3.0 24v

Post by jason1987 »

ill have to have another look and show more pics of the seals, and why does youtube and the internet say to stop water leaking into the car seal up the insulation in the door? that doesn't have anything to do with water getting in does it?
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Behind every door card there's a splash screen (a waterproof film) when rainwater runs down the glass it drips down into the door cavity - the splash screen stops the water leaching through into the car and directs the water to the bottom of the door and out of the drain holes, then drips over the sill to outside.

Unfortunately when someone's been inside the door to fix a lock or something it is difficult to repair the screen (if at all) and so water can get in.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work