Swirl/marks. (paintwork)

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

lozz
3.0 24v

Swirl/marks. (paintwork)

Post by lozz »

Anyone know of anything good for removing Swirl mark's?

Just had 'My car cleaned and the Bonnet is full of swirl marks,

Been looking at Megs stuff.. scratch X etc..
but is there anything better.. ?

t.i.a
lozz
3.0 24v

Re: Swirl/marks. (paintwork)

Post by lozz »

'ive orderd some of this http://www.waxyclean.co.uk/shop-by-bran ... r-3-0.html

at that price it shouid do the job..me hopes. :?
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Lordy :shock: At that price I'd expect it to empty the ash trays too.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Yup.true,

it is pricey, but idont mind to much if it works.

just been sent this link..http://www.valeterspride.co.uk//index.asp
ended up spending a few quid on there..ive enough stuff to last a year or 2 now. 8)
fattail95
2.0 Turbo

Post by fattail95 »

I've removed the swirls from my 406, but it is a process that will take a lot of time and patience. To correct the paint on mine, I used a DAS6 Pro machine polisher, coupled with a green 5.5" Hexlogic pad and GTechniq P1 polish. This combination gave enough cut to remove the swirls, without leaving any micro-marring behind. If you want to remove all the swirls from your car, I'd heavily advise you to invest in a machine polisher (go for a DA, not rotary as you're not that experienced) and a Hexlogic pad. Even with a machine expect to spend upwards of 8 hours removing all the defects from the paint.

Before removing the swirls though, you need to understand what is causing them and remedy that first. If you're serious about making the paintwork gleam, forget about taking it to the local hand car wash or through the jet wash/car wash as the brushes will ruin the paint. To safely wash a car, you need to use at least the two bucket method. This technique uses two buckets, one for washing the car and one for rinsing the wash mitt after cleaning each panel (never use a sponge as they cause swirls, always a good wash mitt). You never want to be scrubbing when washing a car - only use enough pressure to prevent the mitt falling on the ground.

Once you're confident about washing the car safely, you can then think about correcting it. To reduce the visibility of swirls, you have two options: filling or correcting. The former is used when you simply want to improve the look of the paint quickly and easily by using a product which "fills" the swirls, essentially makeup for paint, but this only lasts a month or so before looking bad again. Products like Autoglym SRP and Autofinesse Tripple will do this. Or you can correct (which I talked about earlier). This involves using an abrasive polish to level the paint and remove the scratches that cause the swirl marks. To do this, you'd first need to decontaminate the car, so a full wash, fallout remover, tar remover and clay bar. This will leave the paint looking much healthier already and will feel like glass, however the next step is where the swirl removal is done. Using a machine polisher or hand application, apply the polish to the panel working it fully until almost clear, then buff with a microfibre. Once all panels have been polished, you can then apply a wax/sealant to protect the paint (lovely beading!) and keep it looking good.

Sorry for the long explanation, I know it sounds really complicated but once you do it yourself, you realise its actually quite easy! I will warn you though, detailing is a fun and rewarding hobby, but can get very expensive!
2001/Y Peugeot 406 2.0 HDi Saloon
150hp/330nm Powerflow stainless exhaust Kevlar clutch Cat delete EGR & Doser delete Leather interior Windows tinted Cruise control 5 dial cluster Yatour bluetooth Starfish alloys Twin rear fogs
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Thanks mate,

the car is not to bad its just the bonnet.
ive bought some of that 'wolf-gang stuff..as in the link above.
not used it yet..been looking after my granddad so ive had not much time to try it out.

iwill see if its any good..if not iwill get the bodyshop to sort it..
idont fancy using a machine..knowing my luck it'd be down to the base coat in no time,.. lol.

thanks for the good info there tho. :)
Waxman
2.0 16v

Post by Waxman »

Machine polish only real way to go to get rid of swirl marks lozz.

Any other products out there just use fillers to hide them. - Even something like Autoglym SRP will fill the swirls

:)
The Rubble Shifter: 2.0 HDi 110 GTX 406 Estate, Tuning Box, K&N Filters.
Thunderbird 4: Mercedes AMG E55, Full Decat & Res Delete.
*New Addition* The Roller Skate: VW Polo GTi
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Thanks. :wink:

*ithink-iwill wait until the better weather arrive's/ and then send it into the bodyshop & let them do it
hopefuly it will work out cheaper than buying a machine polisher to do it. but imight be wrong. :frown: