Rear driver's side door and boot leaking

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

ZilogJones
2.0 16v

Rear driver's side door and boot leaking

Post by ZilogJones »

I've noticed the rear driver's side door occasionally leaks leading to a slightly damp carpet, but some serious rain this week has prompted me to actually do something about it.

After some testing today I've noticed that water seems to build up in a spot between the bottom of the door card and the rubber seal on the door frame. I could see a small trickle coming down on the inside of the door at the B-pillar but not sure if it's this or water coming from the inside of the door card - which I haven't opened yet. I can see some evidence of an inner sealing sheet/membrane thing - if this needs resealing or replacing, what sealant would you recommend?

The leak in the boot seems to be coming from the nearside rear light - it's coming through the foam around the bottom and getting to the carpet and spare tyre. I see some people mention re-sealing and re-fitting the light cluster, but again I'm very much sealant ignorant so would appreciate any recommendations :)
2002 2.0 HDi 90 Rapier saloon (for sale)
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Re: Rear driver's side door and boot leaking

Post by gumby6371 »

Sounds very much the leak I had a month or so back on the same door. It turned out to be some idiot (me) didn't refit the seal under the doorcard properly after attempting to grease the check strap.
All I did was peel it back, clean it up and slap a bead of bathroom silicon on and it worked a treat. The bathroom stuff probably isn't the best ut it was all I had at the time. Remeber to have some doorclips handy just in case you break any removing the card.

As for the leaky light cluster, all I ever do is clean up the faces where they touch and refit the cluster reasonably tightly which has seen me through until now.
1996 1.9 TD LX (Gone but not forgotten)
2003 2.2 HDI SE
ZilogJones
2.0 16v

Re: Rear driver's side door and boot leaking

Post by ZilogJones »

Ok I took off the door card and found the sheet was in surprisingly good shape:
IMAG0231[1].jpg
The clips didn't break either, which was a pleasant surprise :cheesy:

But the problem seems to be this corner:
IMAG0229[1].jpg
IMAG0230[1].jpg
There's a gap in the sealant right were all that brown shite is (not rust thankfully!), and it was damp around there too. Hopefully I can just re-seal that section without destroying it.

@gumby6371: The check strap on this door is rusty and barely functional too - did you ever manager to sort it out on yours? I've greased it up from the outside a few times but it hasn't improved things much. It seems to get quite wet in the rain for whatever reason - maybe the rubber seal around it is useless? I'll try cleaning around the light too - thanks!
2002 2.0 HDi 90 Rapier saloon (for sale)