Possible Mods - Opinions Please - good or bad

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

trem1
3.0 24v

Post by trem1 »

my opinions are
1.dont like the lights they only look good on the lexus every other car looks crap with them

2.dont mind the mirrors but if your older than twenty you'll look like your driving your sons car

3.if yours is a d9 the lights look awesome without :!: cant get better than perfection 8)

4.why make it lower at the front :?: makes multi-storey car parks a nightmare and you are so worried about it catching you dont enjoy the driving experience as much

best mod for the 406/7 is to keep it as clean as possible and it WILL get noticed everywhere

2004 Iron Grey 407se 136bhp......Written Off
2006 Moonstone blue 407 se 136 bhp.....Written off
2006 silver 407 SW..........replacement
Gus
2.0 16v

Post by Gus »

Well thats decided that then fellas, its staying as it is but i am going to do a mod

the tow bar is going, :P

thanks for all the replies
Essexdad
2.0 16v

Post by Essexdad »

Lose the tow bar / excellent for a start.
The Welton panel + chrome grille strips sets the front off nicely methinks inconjunction with whiter front
lamps & not forgetting led sidelights too.
And the one-piece wipers discussed recently.
My latest add-on is the original rear window blind....i'm well pleased with that one....
i leave it up 24/7,at night it cuts out headlight glare from behind (in particular,bastard high-rise 4x4s & hgv's beams
straight through the back)

from here

Web Page Name
Kevin

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.
ifredriksen
1.8 8v

Post by ifredriksen »

1) Yes, I like the lexus lights on a 406. I admit, on some cars they look like sh*t, but the 406 is one of the best cars to fit them. Alternatively, buy some black lexus lights.

2) No, the mirrors are pretty enough as it is.

3) Eyebrows are ok, I have them on mine and I don't regret the decision at all! Makes the lion look more evil ;P

4) Didn't like the DTM lip, just doesn't look right. The laguna frontlip sets it off nicely :)
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

ifredriksen wrote:3) Eyebrows are ok, I have them on mine and I don't regret the decision at all! Makes the lion look more evil ;P
nasty nasty nasty

However I did just see a black Audi TT (new design) with them on and my god it made the car look evil (in a good way)
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

Mirrors are a Big Yes as long as they are electric... oh unless your mirrors on your car are manual... Eyebrows are a yes, I have those exact ones on mine and they make it look more aggressive.... lights and splitter are a no, no!

I don't know why people change the stock rear lights, because the original ones are perfecto allstar IMO!

The problem with the 406 is the availability of parts, its sooo annoying that almost anything decent we see on a 406 is custom lol
Niz406
--------
"Some Say he can fart fire, whilst others say he can urinate rocket fuel.... all we know is he's called... The Niz"
diesel-dog
1.8 8v

Post by diesel-dog »

xplosiv wrote:Hi,

I see where you are coming from, trying to make the 406 look less like a taxi (I every private taxi company in the land uses them)

Aint that the truth, many a d8 still working in this neck of the woods, whilst the d9's are dropping like flies!! I work a 1998 d8 with 194,000 on the clock and she still gets complemented on the comfort of the ride!! :cheesy:
If she aint smoking, we aint moving!!
k3nny
2.0 16v

Post by k3nny »

Don't do the same mistake as i did man.

1. lose the lexus light, i made a mistake by fitting em to my car ! :P

2. i think 406's mirror are already well balanced with the body size. so keep the original ones

3. yeap, the eyebrows looks pretty good.

4. HELL NO !!. do a subtle kit, too extreme or too many curves will spoil the look.

i learned my 'expensive' lesson by re-doing a whole body kit.
so, keep it subtle.

it's a nice car, don't spoil with too much 'missmatch' accessories.
Cars, Computers, Chicks, 3C for a complete life. add a number 6 between them then you get double pleasure. hahaha!

pugsport
2.0 16v

Post by pugsport »

OK guys, splitter no, eyebrows no, mirrors yes, lexus lights look great on the right colour car. If your gonna mod it do it right, stay away from "stick on" mods, very tacky. I spent 5 grand modding my SRI 6 yr ago, it still turns heads and gets thumbs up and I'm 43!! Bumper needs a make over due to stone chips and wifes careless curb smacking, but for petrol turbo its still going strong with 160,000 miles on the clock.
MODIFIED 1997 406 SRI; FULL ECOSSE TOURING BODY KIT;CUSTOM EXHAUST;
17"FOX ALLOYS;DUMP VALVE;
INDUCTION KIT;LOWERED 40MM.
LEXUS STYLE REAR LIGHTS;
DTM STYLE MIRRORS
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

pugsport wrote:I spent 5 grand modding my SRI 6 yr ago, it still turns heads and gets thumbs up and I'm 43!! Bumper needs a make over due to stone chips and wifes careless curb smacking, but for petrol turbo its still going strong with 160,000 miles on the clock.
Pics man! We need PICS! :P
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
rapport25
3.0 24v
Location: either in my Audi SQ5+, X- trail Aventura or Mini Cooper Cab

Post by rapport25 »

Have to say most peoples thoughts are the same keep it looking mint and it will stand out i spent all day on my pug yesterday. And shines and attracts atttention!!!!!! Mine is standard looking glx with alloys. Only exterior mods are oval exhaust trim which looks like a standard pug one. It has a toe bar. And xennon bulbs thats it. Regards to rear sun blind will they fit any 406? Always fancied one of those any help please? A 406 is a work horse plain and simple a taxi/ famil car geniune motorway cruiser. When you potter around such a quite smooth luxury car.
rapport25
3.0 24v
Location: either in my Audi SQ5+, X- trail Aventura or Mini Cooper Cab

Post by rapport25 »

Have to say most peoples thoughts are the same keep it looking mint and it will stand out i spent all day on my pug yesterday. And shines and attracts atttention!!!!!! Mine is standard looking glx with alloys. Only exterior mods are oval exhaust trim which looks like a standard pug one. It has a toe bar. And xennon bulbs thats it. Regards to rear sun blind will they fit any 406? Always fancied one of those any help please? A 406 is a work horse plain and simple a taxi/ famil car geniune motorway cruiser. When you potter around such a quite smooth luxury car.
pugsport
2.0 16v

Post by pugsport »

I will try to post some pics at weekend, remember I did state the front bumper now needs a make over, so use your imagination for "mint looking"!
MODIFIED 1997 406 SRI; FULL ECOSSE TOURING BODY KIT;CUSTOM EXHAUST;
17"FOX ALLOYS;DUMP VALVE;
INDUCTION KIT;LOWERED 40MM.
LEXUS STYLE REAR LIGHTS;
DTM STYLE MIRRORS