A COUPLE OF THINGS

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

stretch
1.6 8v

A COUPLE OF THINGS

Post by stretch »

can you by an after market de-badged grille + if so where from ?
also whats the best height to lower the car if sitting on 17" wheels , so it sits + looks right ?
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Do you live near any speed bumps?
stretch
1.6 8v

Post by stretch »

yeah quite a few bumps , want it lowered but nothing too extreme
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

I scrape the exhaust centre section on my bog standard 406 fairly regularly on speedbumps and ramps. The 406 has a much longer wheelbase than most cars so you've got to be bloody careful around the bumps. I'd leave alone unless you know a route home without bumps
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

No kidding, I almost managed to beach my D8 at the top of a hill last year.

I did see this on a site mentioned elswhere here.

Also, if you put the right tyres on those wheels it'll look and sit right just how it is, and the speedo will still be about as (in)accurate as it ever was. Use something like this, for instance.
574lk3r
1.8 16v

Post by 574lk3r »

forgive the lack of technological terminology...
but you could get suspension that you can alter the height up and down with?

tbh i was thinking of lowering mine, speed bumps also an issue,
would we be able to get away with lowering the back?
as to me mine looks higher than the front?...
de-stress not dis-tress and deffinately not in dis dress.
steve_earwig

Pimp my ride!

Post by steve_earwig »

574lk3r wrote:but you could get suspension that you can alter the height up and down with?
Well, there is that. All you'd need are the hydraulic dampers, the hydraulic pumps and some hefty batteries to power it all. You'd probably need to import all this from the US but look on the bright side: will all that extra weight in the back you wouldn't need to lower your back end! :P
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

take the hydro-crap-matic suspension from a shitroen xantia
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
FAQ - 406 D8 petrol (excl. V6) running and starting problems
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

What's wrong with Lemons? Same bleedin' company as what makes our motors...

Had a couple of BXs myself - 16 valves, went like shot off a shivel. Handling was a bit wierd on the mark 2 but the mark 1 was on rails. Anyway, the suspension, once I had to stop off for something, can't remember what, but the only place to park was on some shop's forecourt. I was just getting out when some guy came out the shop and started having a go (like). I tried to explain that I'd only be a minute and probably would have moved but he was really going on and said if I didn't move he'd clamp it. So I reached in, let the suspension all the way down and told him to go ahead but if there was a scratch on it when I got back I'd sue his arse off. Strangely, when I got back there was no clamp, no scratches either. Bluddy tin pot Hitler.

Funnily enough, when I had my Lemons my brother had a Pug, which I thought was pretty crap (305 Gti I think). Now I've had my Pugs he's had Xantias, which I also think are pretty crap. I drove one once, I've no idea what was wrong with his suspension but it made me seasick.
574lk3r
1.8 16v

Re: Pimp my ride!

Post by 574lk3r »

steve_earwig wrote:
574lk3r wrote:but you could get suspension that you can alter the height up and down with?
Well, there is that. All you'd need are the hydraulic dampers, the hydraulic pumps and some hefty batteries to power it all. You'd probably need to import all this from the US but look on the bright side: will all that extra weight in the back you wouldn't need to lower your back end! :P
ok shite idea lol. :)
de-stress not dis-tress and deffinately not in dis dress.
bargainbro
2.0 16v

Re:

Post by bargainbro »

574lk3r wrote:forgive the lack of technological terminology...
but you could get suspension that you can alter the height up and down with?

tbh i was thinking of lowering mine, speed bumps also an issue,
would we be able to get away with lowering the back?
as to me mine looks higher than the front?...
I´ve only heard about "coilovers" that have the height adjustment in the front. In the rear there´s usually a -40mm or so lowering. Such as KW and Koni.
My opinion is that the "6" is at its best when it´s lowered a bit more from the front. That is because the "wheel arch" ( don´t know if that is the right term) looks huge in the front :shock: More lowering = less empty space = better looks = the world of trouble everytime you hit a speed bump. I´ve got a reasonable -30mm lowering in my car and it left craving for an extra inch of lowering to the front :( .........but the way it handles. Great. :cheesy:
Last edited by bargainbro on Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bargainbro
2.0 16v

Re: A COUPLE OF THINGS

Post by bargainbro »

stretch wrote:also whats the best height to lower the car if sitting on 17" wheels , so it sits + looks right ?

-Cobra -60mm/-50mm

.........for the looks

- Koni or Kw coilovers

........for good quality and reckless money-spending

-Weitec -60/-40

........a budget choice with the look aspect

-Eibach springs w/ good gas shocks (Koni etc.)

........for the drive of your life