Plod's HDi 140

Post pictures here! Host them in the gallery or at another online hosting site like photobucket.com
plod
3.0 24v

Re: Plod's HDi 140

Post by plod »

Saturday I dropped my lad at my olds, and went to the gym.
Car started fine at the gym, then back to my olds, but the lad had gone round the shop with me mum
They rang and asked me to pick them up from the shops, and again car started fine
Used the cash machine whilst there, and car started fine again
Dropped me mum off at her house, and when I turned the key, the car started ok, but there was a knocking noise, which I assume is the starter

Sunday I went to the gym and same problem when going up there, and also upon leaving

Today, same again when I went to work
I asked my mate to take a look when convenient, and I said I believed it was like the bendix was catching enough to start the car, but slipping enough to cause the noise
Came to me leaving work, and again, same problem
Drove round to his unit, but he'd nipped out, so I started car, and again same problem
As I reversed away from his unit, he arrived back
So I stopped the car, and started it up for him, and sod's law, it didn't happen
Stopped and started car about a dozen times, and no more noise

He suggested there maybe a little crap on the bendix causing it to stick - anyone else experienced this??

Went home, and got changed for the gym, came out, car fine. Left gym, car fine. Stopped at shop, car fine.

Does anyone know if there is an access plate to get in to be able to get an airline near the bendix to be able to blow any crap out???
1999 D8.5 HDi GLX - Sold :(

2007 Mondingo Zetec - I seek forgiveness :( Bring back my 406
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

It's bound to be a pre-engaged starter, surely? (No bendix).

Yep, ServiceBox lists no less than 15 different starters for a D8 110 Hdi. :shock: but all are pre-engaged.

for example:

I suppose a pre-engaged started can stick forward, but I think it would tend to continue driving the starter if it did, with quick & disastrous results...

You couldn't have a faulty dual mass crank pulley by any chance?
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

I had a new crank pulley fitted a couple of years ago
Genuine pug item - 515V6 if I remember rightly
So I would hope its nothing to do with that

Guess at mo, without it playing up I ain't going to know
So do I just go by the adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it"?

plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

Never had any issues with above problem again.

Last friday had the oil changed and two new droplinks on front (had planned on doing it myself, but had to go Essex) before driving it to Falmouth saturday morning
Car didn't miss a beat, and reminded me why I still like this car
Only issue was a bracket cracked on the zorst, and thus the middle box was hanging down and catching - wasn't a problem till we hit the little lanes off the beaten track in Cornwall
Managed to get away with the car for 2 days and dropped into the local garage half a mile down road from where we are stopping, and they welded it back up - cost me £15 so well pleased as expected to get taken for a ride as thought they might think they had a tourist over a barrel.
Done 60 mile in it today up to near St Austell, and into Megavissey, and no problems, and drove great even with 5 of us in the car 8)

rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

Where did you get to with the hail storm damage?

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

I decided against claiming
Undecided as to whether to leave it, or fit a D9 front end on it( get the roof repaired), or just get a newer one, but it is all down to work at mo

Done 800miles in it last week in total, and reminds me why I like this car
Filled it up before I left - £105!!!!!! and re-fulled 15mile into the way back, and worked out I managed to get 42.65mpg, which fully loaded and I didn't hang about on the way down :wink: i'm very pleased with

plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

Mmmm, air con control unit not working - still illuminates, but no power to display or operation :(

plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

plod wrote:Mmmm, air con control unit not working - still illuminates, but no power to display or operation :(
This is going to be too common a term in search function, and save creating a new thread, what do we reckon will be favourite for the above

1. does anyone know off hand which fuse to check, save checking them all
2. yes, I can pull the unit out, but if someone knows the above, then better checking that before start ripping apart to check connections - anyway can't imagine plug coming out, not like it is prone to getting knocked, but hey, you never know :shock:

It wasn't like it stopped working whilst out in the car as such
worked when stopped the car the night before, then didn't work next morning

plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

Wasn't feeling to brilliant at the weekend, so didn't look at it
However monday when starting the car to leave work, it started back up :shock:

plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

I don't fancy having the black on the lower dash, but still hanker after the soft closure glovebox

Had this idea earlier of seeing if the guys who painted my dash parts up fancy having a go at painting the black from a rapier/D9 with it fitted, in the same silver

Would be something different
Might inspire me to sort the rest of the car out after the hail damage :lol:

Am I wasting my time?
The guys won't charge me much if I talk to them nicely
Got the glovebox, would just need the lower dash - I know Stu had one for sale, but that was collection only IIRC

jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

A lot of the D9s had the soft closure box, I picked up the dash panel with the soft closure bit for £3 from a scrappie.

Also got the glovebox. Not bad for £10 all in :)
2002 V6 SE Coupé (210bhp) - (Aegean Blue)
2002 D9 2.2 HDi Exec Estate - Samarkand Blue
PM me for PP2000 diagnostics around Surrey
plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

plod wrote:
plod wrote:Mmmm, air con control unit not working - still illuminates, but no power to display or operation :(
This is going to be too common a term in search function, and save creating a new thread, what do we reckon will be favourite for the above

1. does anyone know off hand which fuse to check, save checking them all
2. yes, I can pull the unit out, but if someone knows the above, then better checking that before start ripping apart to check connections - anyway can't imagine plug coming out, not like it is prone to getting knocked, but hey, you never know :shock:

It wasn't like it stopped working whilst out in the car as such
worked when stopped the car the night before, then didn't work next morning
As my ignition jammed on the car yesterday and had to strip it out, and the fact of the above and that the air con packed in again , the problem all along was the ignition wiring
It's cost me £50 to sort with parts and my mate fixing it, plus the borrow of a vehicle overnight but hey ho, that's life lol

I know I would love leather door cards but the guy who I had the ignition off has the D8 Exec door cards so having them and couple of other bits off him for £20
One of my cards has a hole in it where I took a telly down the tip, his are cleaner plus have the puddle lights in them so I thought sod it lol

midsmike
3.0 24v

Post by midsmike »

me and daz went and had sum parts off that car be4 he started stripping it the doorcards were gd and rare to have puddle lights in a d8 plus the seats looked like d9 but wasnt if u understand wat i mean
1998 peugeot 406 2.1 td executive saloon silver,d9 mods 18" dare v2 alloys In Phase XTC 6.5″ 240W Component Speakers up front and Vibe Slick 6x9 Three Way Speakers - Slick 693 in the rear runing off a Alpine MRV-F307 V12 Series amp and a vibe cbr 12 twin evo sub in the boot. 1998 peugeot 406 2.1 td lx saloon red
plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

Despite changing the both rear hubs a couple of years back, I think the nearside is going again

In some ways i'm a bit aggrieved, but as it's the same side as the backplate I had off Dai which needs changing, it's not such a bad thing
Had put off changing the backplate in a way as bit annoyed i'd have to buy another hub, but this forces my hand, so a good thing in a way :lol:

The last ones were QH discounted from my mate at the motor factors, but thinking I might look at alternatives.

Reason I think it's going, is on a straight there is a bit of a drone from the rear, which increases fractionally on a right hand turn, but goes quiet on a left hand turn

Bit short on funds, so going to drag it out a week or two, as planning on doing a car boot next weekend to try and raise a bit of dosh, so probably go for it the week after