ddoherty406 Back in Black

Post pictures here! Host them in the gallery or at another online hosting site like photobucket.com
lozz
3.0 24v

Re: ddoherty406 Back in Black

Post by lozz »

Wow, :shock: ididnt think vectra skirts wouid fit,
ive got a few sets of them off 3 vectras ibroke , 2 saloons and one estate,
imight have a bash at the Estate skirts see if ican cut them down,

what do use to fit them on ?

sikaflex any good ?

thanks inadvance :roll:
andymacg
2.0 16v

Post by andymacg »

i like that :cheesy: that looks amazing

cracking idea with the vectra side skirts, given me an idea for my estate now
jolly green giant 1.8 16v LX estate
ddoherty406
2.0 16v

Post by ddoherty406 »

Cheers guys.

Yea will be moving on to the lights next. clear/darked repeaters, still undecided about the black masks tho, mite be too much black. The wheels are oz titans, 17s, and i think theyre are 205/50s tyres. then because they are ford fitment there are 25mm spacers and longer bolts. I was looking @ 306 hdi skirts but they were all too pricey for over here as the 306 men are always on the lookout for them I wasnt willing to spend big money on something that was going to be chopped/cut and resprayed anyway. I took your advice on the front badge tho... turned out well i think.

As for the vectra skirts I think they come with a wee end cap, which would make them nearly the correct size i think. The car I got them off was scrapped with the caps still on. You'll have to trim them to make them fit tho, I screwed them into the sill form underneath and used a run of tiger seal/ window bond on the top side.

Wee update from the weekend up next...
ddoherty406
2.0 16v

Post by ddoherty406 »

Well with the good weather and rally weekend i decided to treat the car to a good clean. Ideally it needs a proper detail, but i did the best i could by hand. Also a few simple things done to it....

Removed door piller vinyls. They were all cracked and tarnished looking. Usually I prefer them on a D8 but with the car being black I think it suits it fine. Looks alot better than the old cracked ones anyway.

I then debadged the back, and since I have 3 spare badges for the front, I colour coded one to see what it looked like. Since I had some left over I gave the back hubs a lick of paint, and colour coded a mesh to replace the lower front grill. Heres a few pics from yesturday....

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

I like the wheels, the 406 is a bit tricky in the wheel-department but I reckon you've pulled it off. I like the centre hub of the wheel as it helps mask the brake discs. I hate seeing big open wheels so we can all see the silly small discs/callipers behind :oops:

One slight criticism, if I may, is the rear end looks a tad low to me as if there's a heavy load out back - I would have preferred it to be 20mm? higher - I say 'preferred' it's not me who's spend hours, blood, sweat and money doing the work, heck, I can just sit here and type stuff :lol:

This pic sums up your work very well and you should be pleased - tastefully done I say.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Looks awesome, 8)

Wouid look better with the Headlight Mod imho, The black eyed look, like Him Big cheif did on his, looks mint, :mrgreen:
BigGav75
1.8 16v

Post by BigGav75 »

May A rear boot spoiler would be nice on her?
ddoherty406
2.0 16v

Post by ddoherty406 »

Cheers fellas.

@ Welly - A fella had the same wheels on a ford focus at the end of my street, I was thinking they would suit it and when I seen a set for sale with the spacers i snapped them up. Means now i can also throw on other ford alloys that take me fancy.

Yea the back is lower intentionally. As you know they usually sit a little nose down but i prefer to have less of a gap between the arch and the tyre.

@ lozz - I have a spare set of headlights here, just havent had the time to strip down the front end to swap them over. It will be done tho, even if its just to see if i like it.

@BigGav75 - Ive seen a balck one with a 406 spoiler but i think i prefer it without it, il prob make another brake light spoiler instead, like i did for the white one.
Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

Post by Gary406 »

very nice d8 mate .
2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)
madmcivor

Post by madmcivor »

looks well lad, this is the boy who was u2uing you, thought id sign up here since im now a 406 owner lol :lol: