ddoherty406 Back in Black

Post pictures here! Host them in the gallery or at another online hosting site like photobucket.com
ddoherty406
2.0 16v

ddoherty406 Back in Black

Post by ddoherty406 »

hi folks havent been using the forum in a while as I strayed from the 406s. But ive had this one a while now and ive been meaning to put up a project thread. Please excuse the fact they are copied from a project thread on my local forum...

When I got the car It had a number of mechanical/Electrical issues that i sorted out,then when I got it through MOT I lowered it and got a set of Oz titans,spacers and longer bolts for £200.

As I mentioned there was a number of electrical problems that had the pump running off timing, (lift needle sensor), also brake lights staying on and radiators not working etc. So after alot of head scratching it turned out someone had the wiring loom all mixed up in the wrong connectors. I replaced the fans as they wernt working when tested, but only when i had them out it i discovered it was because someone had cut the wire to take a live feed from the relay, but good made the most of it amd cleaned behind the light...

teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Re: ddoherty406 Back in Black

Post by teamster1975 »

Welcome back mate! It's never a good thing when you have to repair a butchered loom, some people are animals when it comes to wiring :roll:
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
ddoherty406
2.0 16v

Post by ddoherty406 »

Cheers! Good to see the regular faces are still about. The loom wasnt too bad to put right once I realised the problem. It seems someone had taken it off at some point then just put the connectors back in different places. For example the reverse light was going to the aircon and the aircon lead going to the oil level etc. It all looked ok at a glance as the connectors are white, but then when I removed them to check voltages I caught on that the leads seemed stretched to reach connections were as others seemed loose, Swapped them over and hey presto.. easy fix.
ddoherty406
2.0 16v

Post by ddoherty406 »

When i had it running right, alternator and tensioner replaced, next up was suspension and a service... All droplinks and anti-roll bar bushings for the back. oil fuel and airfilter,

Then I fitted a laguna splitter I had lying around. Its not perfect but will do for now....

HimBigChief
3.0 24v

Post by HimBigChief »

Glad you're back fella, it's been a while! Now lets see what sort of original modifications you can come up with for this one! 8)

Black mask headlights will look the sh!t on that! Just don't do the murdered out theme (black on black on black). Black cars always looks good with some chrome detailing so I'd be tempted to whack some of the chrome side and bumper trims on too. Just my opinion though.
Image Image
'98 2.1TD Executive Daily Drive........................................'94 309 Goodwood Project Car
ToddM
2.0 Turbo

Post by ToddM »

HimBigChief wrote:Glad you're back fella, it's been a while! Now lets see what sort of original modifications you can come up with for this one! 8)

Black mask headlights will look the sh!t on that! Just don't do the murdered out theme (black on black on black). Black cars always looks good with some chrome detailing so I'd be tempted to whack some of the chrome side and bumper trims on too. Just my opinion though.
+1 for chiefy's idea! It'll look menacing that. Good luck with it matey!
Captain Jack wrote:On a serious note, I managed to get my knob off after some persuasive yanking. Then used some epoxy to put the new one on. Glue still setting now so haven't had the chance to test it.
steve_earwig wrote:Ooh-er mrs. :shock:
NollingtonHards
2.0 16v

Post by NollingtonHards »

First photo looks so good. Very jealous ha

Glad to see your sticking with 406's
Dead president's corpse in the driver's car
The engine runs on glue and tar
ddoherty406
2.0 16v

Post by ddoherty406 »

Cheers lads. I was thinking the very same about the chrome strip but the breakers wont let me take them off without buying the entire bumper or door. Theres already a few different mods done instead but im still on the lookout for chrome bumpstrips, just a matter of collecting them one at a time off damaged panels. :twisted:

Il throw up some more pics now...
ddoherty406
2.0 16v

Post by ddoherty406 »

I gave it a quick clean and got a few pics before I ran out of light.... .... and then a few more arty farty pics. lol

ToddM
2.0 Turbo

Post by ToddM »

Sorry for the stupid question but how exactly did you lower it and if it's just shorter springs doesn't it now handle like the suspension's collapsed? :roll: I reckon it looks AMAZING like that! Clean, low, black, big wheels. I am so jelly right now! :lol:
Captain Jack wrote:On a serious note, I managed to get my knob off after some persuasive yanking. Then used some epoxy to put the new one on. Glue still setting now so haven't had the chance to test it.
ddoherty406
2.0 16v

Post by ddoherty406 »

Well as I mentioned before heres a few different mods, I was on the look out for a suitable set of skirts to modify to fit the 406. I settled for SRI vectra B skirts as they only needed a small extension and I thought they follow the similer curves ans suit the styling. Still a bit of a learning curve but got there in the end.

Heres the pics.....

Fillers/sanding/filling/sanding/priming and so on...lol The skirts also had some heavy scratches, so when i got the ends right I gave them a coat of filling primer and sanded them down and sprayed them. Then I went ahead and colour coded the bumpstrips.

Still looking out for a set of chromed strips and undecided about debadging it. Might be too black? chrome kinda goes well with the dark colours.

So skirts, colour coded bumpstrips and 4 new mudflaps put on. Few quick pics from yesturday, Car needs a good proper clean and a bit of good weather to get some better pics...

ddoherty406
2.0 16v

Post by ddoherty406 »

Cheers Todd. In the earlier pics... yes it felt really really bumpy to drive thats why ive raised it up since, In them pics I had the 40mm 406 lowering springs in the front and Toyota Carina lowering springs of some sort in the back. Wasnt as bad as no springs in the back tho.

Since then Ive cut have a coil off the 40mm rear lowering springs to get it to sit a bit more level rather than the usual nose down standard look. Its no where near as comfy as standard but not that harsh either. I use it everyday and its fine over speedbumps etc.
ToddM
2.0 Turbo

Post by ToddM »

ddoherty406 wrote:Cheers Todd. In the earlier pics... yes it felt really really bumpy to drive thats why ive raised it up since, In them pics I had the 40mm 406 lowering springs in the front and Toyota Carina lowering springs of some sort in the back. Wasnt as bad as no springs in the back tho.

Since then Ive cut have a coil off the 40mm rear lowering springs to get it to sit a bit more level rather than the usual nose down standard look. Its no where near as comfy as standard but not that harsh either. I use it everyday and its fine over speedbumps etc.
Won't it cause problems for the shocks and silly questions like mine in the MOT? :cheesy:
ddoherty406
2.0 16v

Post by ddoherty406 »

The car went through the Mot with the 40mm 406 lowering springs in no bother. Anything lower and you would need shortened shocks as the dampers tend to bottom out. With the half a coil cut off the rears the springs are still solid even when jacked up so theres no problems there, its only a very small diference but just closed up the gap between the wheel and arch a little. The car doesnt sit as low as it does in them pics now. Just sitting nicely above the tyre level all round if you know what i mean. No difference in ride/comfort
HimBigChief
3.0 24v

Post by HimBigChief »

I've contemplated Vectra side skirts in the past, but thinking that 306 sideskirts would probably suit the look on mine. Plus you've done Vectra skirts now, so I need to do something different! :P

It needs crystal black side repeaters ASAP as the orange ones just look wrong now on the sides. And if it were me, I'd spray the front badge graphite grey to darken down the front a bit and not to blend the badge with the paintwork.

It's looking mighty fine though sire, what size are those rims and tyres then?
Image Image
'98 2.1TD Executive Daily Drive........................................'94 309 Goodwood Project Car