The sun , the sea, my pug

Post pictures here! Host them in the gallery or at another online hosting site like photobucket.com
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

mjb wrote:I still haven't worked out if I've got 'em or not! :oops:

Can't seem to pry up the lumps on the top of the bumper, so either I ain't got 'em or they're well seized up
They should come out, they sort of pull out of the bumper towards 45 degrees, towards the wings that is.

I did have a good nosey at mine when I got it. They work on water pressure and have a mahoosive water hose to them which makes them 'extend' from the bumper. I couldn't see if they had their own pump though.

I gave up in the end because the general opinion of them on here was that they just spray smeary screenwash all over the bonnet :shock: If you think about it, a 'squirt' of screenwash won't clean them anyway, not without a 'wipe' aswell. Remember the old SAAB's with little wipers :lol:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Ah something I know a little bit about! :lol:

They are indeed telescopic assemblies operated by water pressure and they do have massive hoses, they generally have their own pump, which is alot stronger than the usual screenwash pump partly to allow the fluid to be squirted at the headlamps at a high enough pressure to shift the muck, but also to overcome the viscious springs :shock: ). Most systems use the same bottle for the headlamps and screens (some bottles have 3 pumps fitted!). I try not to use them because they'll run you bottle out in no time and as Welly says they dirty your bonnet :cheesy: but they do work quite effectively.

The reason you don't get headlamp wipers anymore is that most headlamp lenses are now moulded out of polycarbonate, so if you had a wiper system they'd get scratched / grazed. Didn't have that problem with the old glass lenses.

If you need any more info, ask Neil to ask his Mrs........ :shock:
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
neildavies
3.0 24v

Post by neildavies »

I think headlamp washers are fantastic, and really do have a good result at times like now with all the wet grit being kicked up on the lights. Before I had them, I thought they were just a gimic, but I was suprised at their effectiveness.
2007 Mondeo Titanium X 2.0 TDCi
2007 307cc Sport 2.0 HDi 136
Gone but never forgotten: 2002 406 Coupe SE 2.2 HDi
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

you should see volvo xc90 headlamp washers, they operate at about 2 bar :shock: and are bloody lethal
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
FAQ - 406 D8 petrol (excl. V6) running and starting problems
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

So, how do I get mine working again? You've got me on a new mission now :lol:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Welton wrote:So, how do I get mine working again? You've got me on a new mission now :lol:
Firstly they'll only work when the lights are on. :cheesy:

Secondly I'd see if the pump is working. I'd expect there to be 2 pumps attached to the bottom of your washer bottle, and from what I've seen at my customer's factory, I'd imagine that the head lamp wash (HLW) one will be noticably bigger and stronger looking than the screen wash (SW) one. If the pump is working, you've got to ask yourself where the water is going.... does she pee on the floor when you try to use them?

I'd bet that either the pump has given up, or for some reason it's not getting power, the latter being the case you know the switch is OK or the SW wouldn't work, so it's gonna be a dodgy connection on the pump or the bloody BSi again I suppose, not telling the HLW pump that the lights are on??

I suppose it could be that the telescopics themselves could have seived up but I doubt they both would together. If you can pull them up physically they're OK.

Blocked pipe / nozzles?

Sorry I'm rambling now....... :?
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"