Turbo engine conversion

Post pictures here! Host them in the gallery or at another online hosting site like photobucket.com
Maxxy.P
1.6 8v

Turbo engine conversion

Post by Maxxy.P »

Well this has been my little ongoin project now for quite a while, i wont bore everyone with all the pics ive been takin and just put a few up.

The car started off as a 1.9Dturbo and i wanted more out of her baiscally..
Heres how the car used to look

Out with the old Dturbo

and the petrol turbo lump to go in

the stripped her down for a full re-build

out with the old pistons

in with the new

thats pretty much how she is sitting now tho, the engine hasnt turnd over yet due to the fact i still have a few things to get and do, but hopin in may when i have a week off and figure out the wiring the loom intot the chassis she will be running.. :))

and comments good or bad ( each to there own like )
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

i love it, how much of the bulkhead did you have to cut to fit the turbo?
i hope they are forged pistions and rods you fitted
i would have gone with a gti6 cylinder head and a dp engineering manifold, and a T28 hybrid turbo, that way you dont have to butcher the bulkhead
may i ask what happend to the old engine?
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
FAQ - 406 D8 petrol (excl. V6) running and starting problems
Maxxy.P
1.6 8v

Post by Maxxy.P »

Cheers fella. Well had to cut away about a foot of the bar on the bulk head, and the lower engine mount has been extended by about 1.25 inchs to allow the driveshafts alignment with the hubs. Yes they are forge pistons n rods cost a bloody fortune..lol. Ive heard of many folk having problems with the GTi-6 head so gonna leave that for now until I have fully done my homework, but it is sommin i want to look at in the future. Future plans for the engine are to get the T28 charger and all the goodys form DP engineering but am dyin to get the car on the road for the summer and all that can wait for next yr (fingers crossed). The old engine, well i have used a fair few bits in the petrol engine for fitment n other stuff, all i pretty much got left fromt he old engine is the block, head, sump and turbocharger.
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

excellent, if you want rid of the old engine ill gladly take it off you :cheesy:
another cheap mod, if you didnt already know would be to fit a 205 gti 1.9 camshaft, as the turbo one is very lazy, whereas the gti one is very wild, its a direct swap aswell
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

oh, did that engine come from a citroen or pug?
im guessing a citroen
Maxxy.P
1.6 8v

Post by Maxxy.P »

Didnt know that all all, cheers ill keep that in mind. Yep your rite is came out of a Citroen XM, got the whole car for £250 and only has done 70,000 so was quite chuffed with that. Ive noticed tho there is a crack in the exhaust side of the turbo, i know that is a commin fault with it (or so im lead to belive) im just hopin it wont do much damage if i try to run her like that, i just dont have the funds for the T28 as ive kinda spent too much on other bit n bobs.
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

are you using the citroen gearbox or the diesel one?
looks from the pictures to me to be the diesel 'box
the gear ratios for the diesel are a heck of a lot taller than the turbo 'box, but the diesel 'box is much stronger
Maxxy.P
1.6 8v

Post by Maxxy.P »

Yeh have just slapped on the diesel box for now, just till ove got her all run in like, I have also just bought a GTi-6 flywheel and gonna use the diesel clutch. have been advised to use the XSi box from the 306 cuz of the gear ratios, but that can wait for now.
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

the turbo 'box wont be a good idea as it has a hydraulic clutch, thats why its better, as you know, to use the XSi one, you could even go for the gti6 6 speed box
Maxxy.P
1.6 8v

Post by Maxxy.P »

my diesel box isnt a hydraulic one, deffo a pull cable. the GTi-6 box i have thoght about a bit and i prob will go for since ive seen on ecosse's website they can get that engnie to 350 bhp so the must have an awsome clutch, n im wantin to get to somewhere between 250 to 300 bhp
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

no i ment the petrol turbo 'box has a hydraulic clutch
Maxxy.P
1.6 8v

Post by Maxxy.P »

that was a cable too, deffo rememberin desconnecting a cabel off it.
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Re: Turbo engine conversion

Post by niz406 »

Sweet as.... just out of curiosity who's pistons and rods you used and why didn't you opt for H-Section rods?

Also if you can strip the block and do all that yourself, you can make your own T28 turbo like me .... :)
Niz406
--------
"Some Say he can fart fire, whilst others say he can urinate rocket fuel.... all we know is he's called... The Niz"
mjb
Site Admin

Re:

Post by mjb »

jameslxdt wrote:oh, did that engine come from a citroen or pug?
im guessing a citroen
HANG ON ONE SECOND (or 7 months if you're Niz)!

Even **I** knew it was a shitroen from the first XU picture. You can see the suspension sphere in front of the clutch! Plus the pipework is all different :P
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Re: Turbo engine conversion

Post by niz406 »

Maxxy.P wrote: Out with the old Dturbo

No Offence dude... but it looks like you crashed it with a turbo diesel engine and survived..... me thinks with a tuned turbo petrol you will kill yourself... :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:
:)
Niz406
--------
"Some Say he can fart fire, whilst others say he can urinate rocket fuel.... all we know is he's called... The Niz"