The cause of my handling problems

Post pictures here! Host them in the gallery or at another online hosting site like photobucket.com
mbell666
3.0 24v

The cause of my handling problems

Post by mbell666 »

For the last few months i've had problem with the rear of the car try (and succeeding once) to get away from me when turning right. I found the cause!

I thought tryes where ment to be flat, looks like its time for a couple of new tryes! Putting the (steel :( ) spare on seem to have doe the trick for now.
Attachments
trye.jpg
1997 Honda Prelude 2.2 VTi
Previously - 1999 406 Executive HDI
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: The cause of my handling problems

Post by steve_earwig »

It looks like you've got some geometry issues there...
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

So that's the rear left tyre, worn worse on the outside?

My estate's rear left tyre always does that, the saloon I had before did it and the mondeo I had before that did it. If you think about it we in the UK spend much more time turning right than we do turning left, and the combination of a big heavy car with soft independant suspension, and relatively tall-walled tyres that like to "roll" laterally on the rims means that you spend a lot of time with a lot of weight on the outside edge of that tyre, when the lateral forces of the car are all leaning on it trying to get it to step out. Mine's a particularly apparent case because twice daily I travel 270 degrees 'round large dual carriageway roundabouts at 30+ mph.
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
mbell666
3.0 24v

Post by mbell666 »

Yeah it rear passenger side and is warn on the outside.

i think its a faulty tyre myself. when first got it i had it on the front and the steering wheel was no longer straight when driving straight a head. took the car back to the gargae (had tie arm on it at same time) they had it 4 wheeled aligned but that didn't fix it. in the end they moved the new tryes to the back and that fixed it.

tryes stay one the rear passenger side since, but for a long time it has felt funny. If you look at the trye it does -^ , it has humped on the right side (inside) of the trye.

I did have the shock on that wheel go which is about when the handling started thou, so good be side effect of the duff shock i suppose. Had the alignment done again after fitting the new shocks.

I am just going to run on the spare for a while (till i get my life sorted out) then have two new tryes (probably end up on the front) and four wheel alignment. Its just nice to turn right with out have to prepare to catch the rear of the car!
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

I'd just like to say that my spare on the exec is a proper alloy :mrgreen:

and, my n/s rear tyre does not wear like this :?
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Welton wrote:I'd just like to say that my spare on the exec is a proper alloy :mrgreen:
and mine (but only 'cos I managed to get a brand new one off eblag for a tenner :) )
Welton wrote:and, my n/s rear tyre does not wear like this :?
Then you aren't enjoying roundabouts properly :twisted:
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

DaiRees wrote:Then you aren't enjoying roundabouts properly :twisted:
To be honest, I don't really like hooning the 6 around roundabouts. It feels (and must look) all out of shape :( I did get a huuuuuge understeer skid in the rain but that was more brown-trouser than enjoyable :lol:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Ooooh no, understeer's no good. It's oversteer that we want on roundabouts, but beware that it will seriously fek up your back left tyre. :lol: :lol: :P
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

DaiRees wrote:It's oversteer that we want on roundabouts, but beware that it will seriously fek up your back left tyre. :lol: :lol: :P
...and handbrake shoes :(
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

You have aftermarket rear suspension connecting bars? They may be incorrectly adjusted or too short ! hence the wear on the inside !
Niz406
--------
"Some Say he can fart fire, whilst others say he can urinate rocket fuel.... all we know is he's called... The Niz"
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

niz406 wrote:You have aftermarket rear suspension connecting bars? They may be incorrectly adjusted or too short ! hence the wear on the inside !
The wear's on the outside Niz.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

niz406 wrote:You have aftermarket rear suspension connecting bars? They may be incorrectly adjusted or too short ! hence the wear on the inside !
mbell666 wrote:...they had it 4 wheeled aligned... Had the alignment done again...
Relax Niz, he's on it. The tyre probably lost a belt, it happens. I remember a Kleber on my dad's Renault going square...
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
mbell666
3.0 24v

Post by mbell666 »

I think the trye was duff, but i am also thinking there is something else wrong with the rear of the car. Its feeling a lot more solid but does rock a little, i am thinking this is either anti roll link (or roll bar mounts) or tracking.

Need to have a good look but not going to have time for a little while. I just run the spare tyre for a while and see how it wears.
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

OH Yeah..... DOH ! !

Still it was the picture that made me think otherwise, and the time of the morning.... sleep deprevation.
Niz406
--------
"Some Say he can fart fire, whilst others say he can urinate rocket fuel.... all we know is he's called... The Niz"