My first 406. Look away if you are squimish!

Post pictures here! Host them in the gallery or at another online hosting site like photobucket.com
rapierKen
1.8 16v

My first 406. Look away if you are squimish!

Post by rapierKen »

I walked away from this with a lot of bruising and a fat lip from the airbag!
One of my neighbours cut a corner in his Honda accord(the one behind in the picture).
Front wheel was pushed into the floor well!
mjb
Site Admin

Re: My first 406. Look away if you are squimish!

Post by mjb »

HOLY F*CK!!!!

How long ago was that then? BTW, you should really say it was a few years ago; until I remembered your earlier post I thought you'd done it today and was about to claim dibs on various parts ;)

How fast were you going at the time? It looks like the whole offside wing has just peeled back. Quite reassuring to see the drivers door looks intact although it looks like the engine bay has actually spilt out forwards!
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
rapierKen
1.8 16v

Post by rapierKen »

Nov 2001. My speedo was reading 40 when he hit me. He cut a corner on me. He swerved just as he hit me and ripped the inner wing outwards. I estimate his speed as between 30 to 40. The engine was pushed sideways. the rear of the car turned and hit a tree.
Just before he hit me I could see his face down by the steering wheel. He looked up just before impact. Needless to say without a seatbelt and the position he was in, his head hit the steering wheel. He went to hospital without being being breathalised whilst I was!
I'd seen him in the pub down the road a half hour before this happened.
I had to wait a year before his insurance company gave in. He claimed amnesia!
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Bastard! :( I bet there's no mechanism you could have used to get the police to order a blood sample either... :( I wish coppers would pay more attention to drink drivers and less sitting hidden in hedges with a speed gun

Did you at least manage to claim damages for being out of pocket for a year?
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
rapierKen
1.8 16v

Post by rapierKen »

My insurance co. were very good. They paid out for the car and for a replacement taxi for 5 weeks. Managed to get loss of eanings plus some on top.
His family used to be customers of mine :shock: Needless to say they don't acknowlege my cheery waves anymore :cheesy:
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Oh look, an easier way of getting to the timing belt... :cheesy:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

rapierKen wrote:His family used to be customers of mine :shock: Needless to say they don't acknowlege my cheery waves anymore :cheesy:
:lol: :mrgreen: :P

The rest of the car looks really well kept Ken, I'm impressed. Most of the taxis around here look like they've never been washed let alone polished :(
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Ken, you've left your window open there mate, you'd better watch that or the carpet's will get wet.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
rapierKen
1.8 16v

Post by rapierKen »

Welton wrote: Ken, you've left your window open there mate, you'd better watch that or the carpet's will get wet.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Less than 3 years old with 120,000 on the clock. The other Insurance co. offered £4000 for the car. Managed to get it up to (the then) book price of £6400 just to pay off the lease.