My 98 2.1TD Executive

Post pictures here! Host them in the gallery or at another online hosting site like photobucket.com
HimBigChief
3.0 24v

My 98 2.1TD Executive

Post by HimBigChief »

Evening all,

As I've been a member on here for a short while now, and tapped into some of your wisdom, I thought I would take some pics of my new beast to share with you all.

So far all I have done in the way of mods is fit the Momo gearknob and gaiter, removed the vinyl between the windows, debadged the rear, fit the aero wipers, more powerful front bulbs (headlights and foglights) and some LED sidelight bulbs. I've bought some lowering springs from the Bay if E, which should hopefully be in the post as I type so should land someday soon. I would also like a nice set of 17 or 18" alloys for it. I'd quite like to get it remapped to 140bhp too. Along with some subtle body mods and maybe a splattering of ICE, although I can't decide whether to change it to my MP3 headunit and stick the sub in the boot. I shall try it for a while and see how I get on with the standard setup for the time being.

As standard it comes with all the goodies including aircon, climate control, leccy windows all round, leccy mirrors (but they don't fold in :cry: ), heated leather seats with armrests, headlight washers, etc, etc. It also has a sunroof which fully works. Now I'm not sure how much of a rarity that is in the 406 world, but in the 405 world hardly any of the sunroofs work properly. Also is it common for a 406 to come with both aircon and a sunroof? Having noted on previous threads about other cars not having covers, it also has both engine undercovers and also all sh!t guards are still present and correct. Other than needing a new drivers door (due to blowing open and denting), and a new boot, again due to a dent, although there is currently a boot on eBay that I may well be buying, so hopefully that will be sorted soon.

On the down side, it needs the tensioner tightening as when you look at the aux belt with the dirt cover removed, you can see the belt bouncing up and down. I had a go at doing that yesterday but gave up as I couldn't get anything to fit in the tensioner bolt. I'll get the garage to give it a go sometime this week. On a plus note, the car passed it's MOT last week, so I shall be switching the insurance over tomorrow and then going out and getting some tax for it, then I can actually start driving the car! I've got some new rear droplinks, rear top links and front droplinks to fit in the near future. I am also thinking about replacing the rear anti-roll bar bushes at the same time. I will probably do all this at the same time as fitting the lowering springs.

Lets face it, the car cost me £300 with a new front spring and new front brakes fitted, it needed £80 worth of parts, £50 MOT fee and £40 worth of labour on top of the work I did. Also needs tax, so for about £500, I've got myself a sub 100000 mile 2.1TD top of the range car, which is barely run in! :cheesy: Where else would you get that sort of value for money?! God I love Peugeot's! :oops:

Plans for the future include:
Removing the wood trims and colour code it to the body as I hate fake wood trim,
Crystal clear side repeaters,
Possibly clear rear lense mod as I have a plan for the red reflector,
Possibly delocking the boot,
607 chin spoiler,
Remap the ECU,
Subtle rear spoiler,
Then chavvy things like painting the brake calipers, LED bulbs, etc,
and I may respray the grey velour on the doorcards black, ala Ed China respraying parcel shelf on Wheeler Dealers.

Hopefully I will keep this thread updated as I play about with my car over the next few months/years.

Oh, and finally if anyone's got a CD changer cartridge they'd like to sell, then I'd love to buy one! Mine's missing, presumed dead...
Image Image
'98 2.1TD Executive Daily Drive........................................'94 309 Goodwood Project Car
DaiRees
Site Admin

Re: My 98 2.1TD Executive

Post by DaiRees »

Damn, I missed my old D8 when I was looking at those pics, that colour was gorgeous! :oops:

Tidy motor fella 8)
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
HimBigChief
3.0 24v

Post by HimBigChief »

:lol: Just picked up another bargain! Here you lot go, a genuine set of 206 Challengers! The paint on them is a bit dodgy in places on a couple of them, but for the money I can't complain, plus I'll probably respray them silver and graphite anyway.

Have a go and see if you can guess how much I got them for!?

And a close-up of the poor paint job:
Image Image
'98 2.1TD Executive Daily Drive........................................'94 309 Goodwood Project Car
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Dunno, but guess they must have been cheap cos you said bargain.....£60?

How much of a job was it to take the vinyl off the window frames?
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
HimBigChief
3.0 24v

Post by HimBigChief »

That's about as close as anyone's going to get I think. Yep, a whole £65 I paid for them. I didn't even bother bartering with the guy as I thought that was cheap enough!

Taking the vinyl off was an alright job, just a bit time consuming. First, nick the missus hairdryer, then use that to heat the vinyl while you slowly peel it back, or alternatively rip it off in big chunks (after heating). Then use a load of white spirit and one of the missus dusters and rub for ages until you get rid of all the glue. Job jobbed! I then T-Cut and polished it to get rid of any other marks and any of the white spirit that may have been left, but I don't think that's strictly necessary.
Image Image
puggy
Resident Pervert

Post by puggy »

Excellent price think i would be tempted to get them refurbished having
got them that cheap,just one thing ,dont want to pisss on your parade
but am sure i read on here sometime that the 206's dont fit 406's something
about wrong offset :shock:
.. ooh are those drugs for me Matron
HimBigChief
3.0 24v

Post by HimBigChief »

Yep, 206 offset (approx et25) is 10mm further in than 406 (approx et15), however I have loads of different spacers and longer bolts, so I will play around and see what works. I used to work at Ripspeed (bit of a Roy Bacer back in the day) so know all about PCD's and offset's etc.

I am going to redo the wheels myself, I don't see the point in paying £160 for someone else to fill and spray them when i can do that myself for about £20 worth of paint!
Image Image
HimBigChief
3.0 24v

Post by HimBigChief »

Had the car in the garage last week and had the cambelt, pulleys, tensioner, water pump, auxbelt, tensioner, pulleys and damper all replaced. The bush in the bottom of the aux belt tensioner damper had disappeared, and instead of having a hole about 8mm for the bolt, the hole was about 30mm, and was on the verge of splitting in two. This in turn had ruined the end of the tensioner so both were replaced from Peugeot at a cost of about £150. :evil: Ouch! :evil: Cost me just shy of £600 for all the parts and all the work. Bit of a bugger but at least I know they've been done, and hopefully I should get a couple of years trouble free motoring out of it. I'm now using the car and find it a bit gutless before the turbo kicks in, especially in 5th where the old 1.9 would slowly bog down, this thing just loses momentum.

The above alloys have now been stripped of the black paint, right back to the primer, so I now just need to give them a quick sand and then get them sprayed up in silver. I've got my eye on a different set of wheels now, and seeing a set of the 206GTi went for £410 on eBay last week, I think I may just spray them silver, stick some 205/40's on it and let someone else stick them on their 205/306/309/whatever.
Image Image
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

HimBigChief wrote:I'm now using the car and find it a bit gutless before the turbo kicks in, especially in 5th
Been a while since i drove a turbo diesel, but I always found slipping the clutch worked wonders to combat turbo lag. Actually I think I did most of my accelerating at full throttle using the clutch to keep the revs nailed at peak torque

Can you tell it was a rental? :twisted:
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
HimBigChief
3.0 24v

Post by HimBigChief »

:lol: Rental's can be fun!

Only problem is to get out of the village where we live is all uphill, lots of it! Living in the Pennines you don't expect things to be flat but the revs drop off quite quickly in 5th going uphills unless you've got the turbo spooling. Might try to clutch slipping thing, need to get used to all the pedals first though. Only been driving the car for 3 days now.
Image Image
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Hmm, new clutch... Pick a lower gear perhaps? Lots of hills here yet I don't seem to have the same problem :?
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
HimBigChief
3.0 24v

Post by HimBigChief »

By lots of hills, I mean constantly heading uphill for approx 3 miles to get out of the village. I'll soon get used to what gear I need to be in where, and once I get used to the power delivery I'm sure it'll all be a hell of a lot easier and smoother to drive.

Lets just put it this way, it appears to have less low down (off-boost) torque than the wife's HDi and my old 1.9TD 405. It probably doesn't, but it just feels like it does. I'm still liking the car though. Nice and comfy cruising and makes fair rapid progress if needed. Just need to fix the speedo. I did about 20miles this morning before the speedo decided to 'wake up'.
Image Image
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

It's behind the glovebox...

My 2.1 has a definite "power band" at around 3k, whereas my HDi just has a vague impression of power from just above idle until about 3k, when whatever it is tails off to nothing.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

I had the 2.1 12-valver in my 605 STDT and it behaves more like a petrol with a distinct boost at around 3k like steve said.

The 2.0HDi on the otherhand is all low down and runs out of puff at 3000.

Your car should pull like a train when you've got it on boost so I reckon you're just using to high a gear.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
HimBigChief
3.0 24v

Post by HimBigChief »

[sarcasm]Oh well, what a shame, I'll have to drive it harder[/sarcasm] :cheesy: I've noticed it starts to boost at 2k and then starts to pull like a train, but I'll have a boot on the way home and see what happens through the rev range.
It's behind the glovebox...
I've been doing searches for the speedo malfunction, and I've got a good idea how to fix it, so I shall investigate possibly tomorrow. Can the box be fixed or is it just a case of replacing it?
Image Image