Credit crunch Project 2.0 16va va voom

Post pictures here! Host them in the gallery or at another online hosting site like photobucket.com
ddoherty406
2.0 16v

Credit crunch Project 2.0 16va va voom

Post by ddoherty406 »

***Ive posted this up on another forum 1st so may be things like smiles that arnt workin and are just random words i.e. :thumb: lol Also wriiten to benefit non 406 owners ***

Ok well I bought the 406 a few months ago with the intention of fixing it up and selling it on, but after driving it, I’ve decided to keep her and modify it in a similar way to my current one. It’s a 1997 2.0 16v glx, so has all the extras, except the leather interior (that comes in the executive models), and it is also in better condition than the d-turbo, so I feel better putting the money into it.

Anyways I have been taking pics along the way with the intention of posting up a project thread, but only getting round to doing it now lol :doh: So instead of putting all the photos up in one go ill start with a few and update it over the next few days, that way its a better read and it means I am not sitting here for hours waiting for them to upload.

So first of all this is the car when I got it, minus the wing mirror as it had been hit and was hanging off.

That was the first fix, in order to save £25 replacing it, I took it apart and discovered the pivot bit inside was the same as a standard one, so I simply switched them over.

The next job was to figure out why all the brake lights came on when I indicated right and at the same time they flashed on and off very fast. This didn’t take long to sus out. Under deeper inspection I opened the boot in daylight and I found the wheel well full of water. So knowing there was a leak some where I took the right rear cluster off and found it full of water, causing it to short. The lens seals, where they sit up against the bodywork have a tendency to let water in as it runs down the channels and behind the cluster. The board and connector were badly rusted so need to be replaced.

With the lens out I figured id give it a wee clean.

I then rewired a new board in and before putting the lens back in I went round the seal with a bead of silicone. With the silicone gun out I also took off the boot seal and silicone it back on just to be sure there is no more water getting in anywhere.

Job number 3 was to sort out the knocking coming from the rear passenger side. After having a look it turned out the anti-roll bar ‘D’ bush had perished so I had to replace it.

Ignore the wrench, I was short of daylight and nearly forgot to take a before pic, so was a snap n go job lol

After

New and old

IL leave it with that for now, watch this space, plenty of fiber-glass and isopon work to come ;)
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Re: Credit crunch Project 2.0 16va va voom

Post by Captain Jack »

Very nice! Keep it coming!
2003 - 2008: 1998 Peugeot 406 2.1 TD 110bhp LX Saloon
2008 - 2009: 2004 Honda Accord 2.2 CDTI 136bhp Executive Saloon
2009 - 2013: 2002 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI 110bhp Executive Saloon
2013 - 2021: 2007 Peugeot 407 2.2 HDI 170bhp Executive Saloon (mapped to 213bhp :twisted:)
2021 - ????: 2016 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 180bhp Titanium
ddoherty406
2.0 16v

Post by ddoherty406 »

Ok heres another we update...

After fixing the major stuff it was time to start with mods and the wee things. 1st in line was to replace the drivers door catch as it had broken and the door was swinging free, this was easy enough replaced with 1 from the scrappers.

Next on the list was the bonnet catches as they were a bit ceased, I took them off and gave them a good clean and freed them up. Job sorted, just need to grease them and give all the door catches a coat too.

With the catches off I decided id give the slam panel a fresh lick of paint to freshen it up a bit. I also start cleaning the engine bay as it was too dark to do anything else.

Debadging the grille

I’ve written a how to on this for the 406oc (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7519) but it’s too much of read unless you’re actually looking to do it, so ill just post up the pics.

Ok I did make a bit of a mistake and got the wrong fillers. :doh: I was having an off day and picked up the finishing stuff which is for filling small chips etc and despite thinking it was different than last time I had it on before I caught on. The difference is that it’s meant to go on in very then layers and dries in about 20mins. However I piled it on thinking it was the p38 Isopon and for this reason it was very soft for about a week or more and had a load of finger dents in it from me testing it lol. IL put up the pics up anyways.

This didn’t mater to much as I just sanded it down a good bit and went over the top with the p38 Isopon

In order to fill the smaller holes I used the finishing filler. You can see this as the darker grey areas in the pics below.

As you can see in the pics below I have put a light coat of paint on it which I had left over as this gave it a glossy finish and made it easier to see any defects. I have since sanded this off again and I am going to get it sprayed professionally this time round. I had them lined up comparing the difference in height between the two 406s. It also shows my wee trial with the red line. Is it better with it or without?

This pic shows where the grille cracked on my 1st 406 as I only used fillers and the knock to the bumper made it a lot worse when it flexed. It was grand for a year and a half so I wasn’t to bothered lol

Put the old alloys on still high as a kite tho.

So that’s all for today folks. Bear in mind this is my 1st time working with fiberglass and only my second time using fillers. C&C welcomed!
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

ddoherty406 wrote:It also shows my wee trial with the red line. Is it better with it or without?
Argh god without, definitely! That stripe looks SO 80s.
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
ddoherty406
2.0 16v

Post by ddoherty406 »

yeah im no sure it would suit it either. Just goth the idea from the 405s which had it. Alot of the 1s on the other forum are sayin they like it. If i was doing it right id be putting the d9 bumpstrips on and doing the chrome bit red.

something like this...

ddoherty406
2.0 16v

Post by ddoherty406 »

Update number 3 – Front splitter, mesh and eyelids.

Well I was looking about for a decent splitter to put on that was a bit different to the Laguna ones. Nothing wrong with them, just I feel they’re way over priced for what they are. I was sitting one day staring at the car and realized I could just make one from another bumper.

So was in the scrappers and spied a broken one with the bottom still intact. After taking it home I started by cutting off the bottom section.

I then turned it upside down and offered it up to the bumper to see how it looked…

I was pleased with how it would look so I started shaping it, to make it more symmetrical and smoothed the side that was cut. I then gave it a rub down and a coat of primer. I only had white, but really should have waited and got a darker colour as it will probably come back to haunt me when it gets scraped. I gave it a few coats of satin black and was going to leave it like that, but because I didn’t want the white coming back I since gave it a few clear coats for some protection.

After it had dried I set it up temporarily under the car to show how it would look. I have it on the car properly now so will get better pics up later.

When I had the bumper off the other car I decided to try out a mesh grille instead of the plastic one. I also did the holes where the fogs go, but they looked crap as you couldn’t see the mesh in them. I liked the mesh in the big bit so I’ve put this on the 16v now without the hassle of taking the bumper off. : D

I have also switched the eyelids over, and in the process gave them a sanding down, to be painted again when the rest of the stuff is getting sprayed. They now sit more flush with the headlight than they did before.

That’s all for today… :thumb:
swiss
3.0 24v

Post by swiss »

Very cool stuff mate. Question: is that the top or bottom edge you took from the scrap bumper?
The man with no car

"Close the door on your way out, and don't forget your monkey."
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

swiss wrote:Question: is that the top or bottom edge you took from the scrap bumper?
ddoherty406 wrote:So was in the scrappers and spied a broken one with the bottom still intact. After taking it home I started by cutting off the bottom section.
:P

Nice!
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
swiss
3.0 24v

Post by swiss »

Ho ho, you fell for it Steve. You owe us all a round of b33r.

:supafrisk:
The man with no car

"Close the door on your way out, and don't forget your monkey."
ddoherty406
2.0 16v

Post by ddoherty406 »

Aye it was the bottom edge. lol :lol: If you look at your bumper you'll more or less see the line to take. Should be getting it sprayed this week so will be a few moer updates!
ddoherty406
2.0 16v

Post by ddoherty406 »

Small update - Handbrake

When I got the car the handle on the handbrake was loose and slid off in my hand, so from this I guessed it had been worked on. The handbrake itself was very loose and was barely holding the car. I decided to adjust it to tighten it up but when I did this I noticed the cable was sticking and required a tug on it from under the car to free it again. So had to go ahead and put a new one in. Heres a few pics…

1st thing was to remove the center consol, easy done and I found £3.70 :woohoo:

I then unscrewed the handbrake lever and removed it and the cable.

New one on and out with the old one.

As you can see from this picture the cable hadn’t been clipped into place properly and was sitting on the metal heat shield which caused it to melt and cease.

So I put the new one in. Then tightened up the self adjusters in the drums/disks on each side until they just couldn’t be turned by hand and then loosened them off a nick or two, (hard to explain unless you’re doing it) I then hooked the two shorter cables up to the main cable and tightened up the adjuster so now its only 3 clicks for the handbrake to hold the car.

Heat shield back on and I put everything inside the car back together again. Another job crossed off the list.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Well done fella! I like your updates 8)

One thing though - we have an old rule here where if a member finds cash in their 406 then they have to split it with the rest of the gang :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

*looks forward to receiving 41 pence*

:wink:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
ddoherty406
2.0 16v

Post by ddoherty406 »

Thanks very much welly!

ahaha :lol: u should have that posted up sumwer more obvious, :oops: il bare it in mind when i get the next 406! it was spent later on that day in the chippy. The free 1s taste so much better.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Ah shame :(
Welly wrote:*looks forward to receiving 41 pence*
News for you buddy, there's 2679 members, so that's 0.138 pence each. What would you have done with yours?

Aside: These Pugs are the first cars I've had that I've not found anything interesting when I took them apart (apart from an Italian parking ticket :? ) - money, tools, a credit card, lighters (nice Ronson I had for years 'til I lost it...) golf balls :roll: , extra parts from when the car was assembled. I've also got miles of spare wire from dodgily fitted alarms and hi-(ha!)-fis. I got a mess of electronics out of my mate's Pussat here which turned out to be from an lpg conversion :shock:
ddoherty406 wrote:Heat shield back on and I put everything inside the car back together again. Another job crossed off the list.
Wot, no hoover? :frown:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
ddoherty406
2.0 16v

Post by ddoherty406 »

lol I didnt realise there were so many members on here. That italian ticket is a strange one. :? My best finds to date wer from an mk3 astra where i found a 3m length of heavy chain wih a padlock and keys under the drivers seat and a 30cm screwdriver in the engine bay. lol Unfortunatly ive just realiesed i havent seen them in a while, so sumone must have gone walkies with them :(

Of course it got a good hoover there was so much more dirt, forgot to put it in the post tho. :oops: