Camber out / outer edge tyre

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

jasper5
3.0 24v

Re: Camber out / outer edge tyre

Post by jasper5 »

Right folks....lots of humble pie here from me :oops:

I went to mot garage this morning for a mot test and had a chat with the guys there, 4 of us all agreed the adjustment was for camber, but we were all WRONG!!

I have just got in from taking off the wheel on my 406 estate and undoing the eccentric bolt to see exactly what does happen and settle the argument for good.

When the adjuster is turned, the stub axle (which the wheel is bolted onto) pivots on the link arm 3 in the diagram which allows the sideways movement needed to alter the TRACKING at the rear!

It has nothing to do with moving the rubber bushes which is what I was thinking needed to happen to get sideways movement and the eccentric bolt has NOTHING to do with camber.

So, big, sincere, apologies to DDD and Markw and anyone else for doubting their word!!

I hope this clears things up and we can move on to the next problem :D

Sorry guys :(
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Well done John. You took the bull by the horns to settle things and ate humble pie when you realised you were mistaken.

Maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks after all... :cheesy:
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

I always admire a man who can put his hand up to being mistaken, I'm a champ at this myself.

To be fair though jasper would work on countless different types of cars and vans so his knowledge has to be spread, no-one would argue that he's purporting to be an expert on 406's only and let's be honest this rear suspension gubbins has always been a mystery area on this forum; no-one modifies it, no-one rebuilds it or anything.

This subject should be taken as a 'learning experience' :cheesy: and the thread benefits the knowledge.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

I guess we could have spent weeks pondering this one, lots of "thinks", "possiblys" and endless supposition, hats of to the man who took the time to find out for sure :mrgreen:

Thank feck that one's sorted, let's move on to the next mystery area... :supafrisk:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
markw
2.0 Turbo

Post by markw »

Respect to Jasper.
I was not seeking 'Brownie Points' or anything like that at all, and your professional experience was never in doubt.
But with most things car related, I prefer to adopt the strategy of finding out why and how things work rather than just accept that they do!!
A good learning experience all round. :idea: 8)
2001 ES9J4S Coupe Manual Diablo
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

GingerMagic wrote:Maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks after all... :cheesy:
Say What?

I was equally mistaken.

I think quite a few of us have experienced uneven rear tyre wear and resolved the problem by replacing the link arms and/or adjusting the eccentric bolts. So we were doing the right thing, but calling it something else. Right? :?
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

:) , No worries jasper.
I was not out to prove anyone wrong, just trying to spead the knowledge that I have gained :wink: .
Glad this has been resovled once & for all :cheesy: .
To Doggy & the o.p, it don't really matter what you call it tracking / toe or camber adjustment :oops:
To get even tyre wear at the back you need to make sure that the rear alginment is right, this cost's on average £60+
So you may as well fit new top link arms / bars & eccentric bolts & washers first :cheesy:

So no ill feelings taken or ment this has been resoved once & for all let's move on to the next prob :supafrisk:
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

Excellent :D
406HDi3
1.8 16v

Post by 406HDi3 »

So have you all concluded that outer edge tyre wear can be stopped by 'tracking' even if, the camber is reported 'out' during the tracking alinement process?
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

406HDi3 wrote:So have you all concluded that outer edge tyre wear can be stopped by 'tracking' even if, the camber is reported 'out' during the tracking alinement process?
It seems so, adjusting the top link eccentric bolts to the correct setting should solve the tyre wear issue.
As I wrote earlier, this adjustment is for tracking, maybe the people who reported that the camber is out are mistaken, i don't know without seeing their report.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

From what mjb said above, the only chance of changing camber seems to be by undoing the lower arm bolts, (hopefully it's got enough play in it) set the camber & tighten it all up again.

mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

steve_earwig wrote:From what mjb said above, the only chance of changing camber seems to be by undoing the lower arm bolts, (hopefully it's got enough play in it) set the camber & tighten it all up again.
406HDi3 wrote:So have you all concluded that outer edge tyre wear can be stopped by 'tracking' even if, the camber is reported 'out' during the tracking alinement process?
In my case it was severe inner tyre wear.
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

That's why I said "changing" 8) , it could go one way or t'other I surmise. Btw did adjusting your camber involve the use of a sledgehammer? :shock:

406HDi3
1.8 16v

Post by 406HDi3 »

Sodding cars eh. I've just also had new rear discs/shoes and pads since tracking. Now the sodding pads are humming both sides at low speeds. Back to the garage ...