Handbrake Adjustment - Quick Question

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

Lee406
1.8 8v

Handbrake Adjustment - Quick Question

Post by Lee406 »

Hi all

Fitting new rear brakes and hand brake shoes tonight after getting 12% and failing MOT.. do I need to have both rear wheels off the ground at same time and loosen adjusters at the same time or will it be right if I do one at a time?

So.. loosen adjuster (on brake) pull lever up 3 clicks, tighten adjuster (on brake)..

Then do same on the opposite side.. If I do this, will I still get even brake on both sides?

If I need anymore adjustment then make it from under the centre console..
2002 '02' Peugeot 406 HDi 110 Executive
jasper5
3.0 24v

Re: Handbrake Adjustment - Quick Question

Post by jasper5 »

Before you start slacken the adjuster inside the car, then go underneath and soak the cable adjuster with WD40.
Replace your handbrake shoes (a good pair of small size molegrips would be useful for pulling the spring onto the shoes), before adjusting the shoes mark the position of the shoe adjusting ratchet on the backplate....this will help you find it as you turn the disc/drum....next, slacken off the handbrake cable adjuster under the car (be careful you don't snap it if it's rusty) now you can adjust the shoes, tighten the adjuster until the disc/drum will not turn then slacken the adjuster one click at a time until the disc/drum turns with a bit of drag on the shoes.Adjust the handbrake cable adjuster under the car until you feel the disc/drum tighten, undo the cable adjuster a little so the disc/drum is just free, finish adjustment of the handbrake by taking up the slack inside the car...you should get 4 or 5 clicks on the handbrake ratchet.
Yes, you can do the shoes one side at a time but wait until you have done both sides and adjusted both sides shoes before adjusting the cable.
Lee406
1.8 8v

Post by Lee406 »

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. :cheesy:

I jacked up car both sides and placed car on axle stands, removed wheels and did both sides at the same time. Adjusted up really well..

I now have 4-5 clicks to hand brake fully on, holding the car on a hill in neutral..

Will pass MOT now!! :mrgreen:
2002 '02' Peugeot 406 HDi 110 Executive
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

:D Glad you got it sorted.