406 with just brake shoes - non disc

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

VespaSkin

406 with just brake shoes - non disc

Post by VespaSkin »

2 daft questions

1. which spring goes to the top of the shoes the long or short one as my other side has been bodged

2. is the adjuster self adjusting?

Ta
Gaz
jasper5
3.0 24v

Re: 406 with just brake shoes - non disc

Post by jasper5 »

Long one to the top.
They are supposed to be self adjusting but you will have to set them up first.
On the last one I did, the adjuster is a ratchet assembly sticking out of square bar which has a delicate flat spring at the back, but there is another type on early ones with a round bar and a bigger ratchet adjuster.
VespaSkin

Post by VespaSkin »

Cheers mate

Mine has an adjuster with a thumbscrew and silery type cover thing on it, bugger to adjust when mounted
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

I find that type easier to adjust using a small pair of mole grips gently gripping the thumbscrew wheel, being careful not to break off that delicate spring.
VespaSkin

Post by VespaSkin »

is the delicate spring the silvery cover or one I now no longer have, lol?
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

YeaH...that one....lol :D

If that spring isn't there you might find that you have to adjust the brakes more often, but you could always fit a C type clip into the threads on the adjuster bar, that will hold the adjuster out.
VespaSkin

Post by VespaSkin »

Daft question 3............
I've done the rear shoes but the handbrake is still notching to 9 or 10 - did the 'pump brake peddle several times and whack on the handbrake a couple of times' the handbrake grips and holds better than it did, so do I need to go to the cables or back to the hub do you reckon?

When adjusted the shoes I didn't do it so they were gripping - more like rubbing as I found it very hard to get the hub on, but once on it seems to rotate quite freely (with a rubbing sound)- should I adjust it further?

Ta
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

Do your brake drums have a lip on the edge? If so grind it off if you have an angle grinder handy, then adjust the brakes again.

An easy way to tell if your shoes need adjusting is to pump up the brake until the vacuum has gone, then press the brake pedal with the handbrake off, then press the brake with the handbrake on, if the footbrake pedal goes tighter with the handbrake on the shoes need adjusting.