How hard to change anti roll bar drop links?

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

jason1987
3.0 24v

Re: How hard to change anti roll bar drop links?

Post by jason1987 »

all done :) didnt take very long, nuts came off easy, guess the wd40 overnight helped. car runs nice and smooth now no clunking. do the drop links have anythign to do with handling? as before my car felt "woolly" round bends etc
ianjoh
1.8 16v

Post by ianjoh »

The easiest way to change these is not to show them any respect! I use a 4" angle grinder and a 1mm slitting disc, the top one gets sliced down the length of the bolt to cut the nut in half, the bottom one gets sliced off where the nut touches the the roll bar. This one needs an accurate cut but with a big hammer and chisel the remnents will soon give way.
The allen holes on these are only any good for tightening a new drop link, forget using them for getting one off - it will only lead to dissapointment and sliced knuckles.
Dont forget to use gogs & muffs.
99 HDi Estate 110 fast approaching 200K. edit: now 215K
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Glad you got there in the end fella, although for a while I had visions of you turning up at the headquarters of 406oc with one bloodied hand holding part of a drop link and a rounded-off nut in the other :lol: :lol:

Now you've done it you'll understand but I must say it can be very difficult to translate written text into practical work until you have a go yourself.

I can't talk, anything over and above a tiny clip needing pushing back then I'm off down the garage with me wallet out :roll:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Welly wrote:the headquarters of 406oc with one bloodied hand holding part of a drop link and a rounded-off nut in the other :lol: :lol:
That was me in my garage... the 15 mile round-trip walk to Argos for an angle grinder would have been quicker than the way I tried to remove my rounded n/s/f one :oops:
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Welly wrote:...I'm off down the garage with me trousers down :roll:
That's more like it :P
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.