strange steering

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

tonko007
1.8 16v

strange steering

Post by tonko007 »

Hi all im having some issues with my steering to start with on turning the wheel I hear a slight knock inside the car and the other is when I drive it either fast or slow the steering wheel goes to the left I have looked under the car and there is alot of grease on the cv boot could the joint be on its way out as for the clunk I have no idea also is it easy to replace relucter rings think that is how you spell it thanks paul
PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: strange steering

Post by PeterN »

If there is grease on the outside of the boot either its come unfastened or its split, if it knocks when turning the wheel, presumably when driving, that would indicate a failing CV joint. If its trying to seize up that could make the steering pull to one side but it may be caused by something unconnected.

Peter
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

tonko007 wrote:Hi all im having some issues with my steering to start with on turning the wheel I hear a slight knock inside the car and the other is when I drive it either fast or slow the steering wheel goes to the left I have looked under the car and there is alot of grease on the cv boot could the joint be on its way out as for the clunk I have no idea also is it easy to replace relucter rings think that is how you spell it thanks paul

Check the top strut mount bearings.

If you are changing the cv joint there will be a new reluctor ring on the new joint.
tonko007
1.8 16v

Post by tonko007 »

Thanks all will have a look qhwn I can thamks again
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Post by gumby6371 »

Easiest way to check top mounts is to watch the spring while someone turns the wheel slowly unless you're Mr Tickle and can reach inside the car yourself :cheesy:
The spring should turn nice and smoothly, any judder points to a knackered bearing in the top mount.

I changed one of mine a few weeks back due to the knocking noise and it tended to snatch back instead of smoothly self centring.
1996 1.9 TD LX (Gone but not forgotten)
2003 2.2 HDI SE