Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

Pugi4o6
1.8 8v

Brake plate bolt

Post by Pugi4o6 »

brake plate.JPG
(91.04 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Hi all! I`m new here. I would like to ask (if anyone knows) if someone knows about dimensions of the bolt that fits where the white square is... My main dealer already has a brake plate in stock for me (75 € :( ). The only problem is this bolt... It does not have a catalogue nr, it can`t be ordered... What bolt can be used? Car will be in the repair shop for a whole day because of that bolt... Help :? Anyone?

Thanks.
Bad ass boys drive badass toys.
markw
2.0 Turbo

Re: Brake plate bolt

Post by markw »

Isn't that where one of the handbrake shoe retaining clips go? Two per side.

A main dealer didn't know this??

The part on the extreme right of the bag in this pic.

It holds the shoe in place while at the same time allowing it to move a little.
2001 ES9J4S Coupe Manual Diablo
Pugi4o6
1.8 8v

Post by Pugi4o6 »

Thank You for a reply Sir! Yes, I think this is the thingy I am looking for! He wants me to leave the car in the auto repair shop and wait for a whole day for a good news t.i. to wait for him to mock something up... He will get this bolt from scrappies :) That`s how it`s done in Slovenia :) :lol:
Can this Brake accesory kit be ordered on ebay? @ markw: Can U help somehow? It`s funny how a small piece of metal can be so important for your handbrake to be operational ...
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Howdy neaighbour :cheesy:
Pugi4o6 wrote: My main dealer already has a brake plate in stock for me (75 € :( )
Believe it or not that's cheap!

The fitting pins are on ebay but they all seem to want stupid amounts of money for postage :evil:

How about http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-406-6 ... 3cce7dcbd4
or http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-406-R ... 5d4e88811b

Kangoo? :shock: These things must be fairly generic, I'm sure if you have a decent factors there they must be able to come up with the goods if you can take them an example :frown:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Pugi4o6
1.8 8v

Post by Pugi4o6 »

Guys, thank you. I have been browsing on this forum for a few years now, and finally registered :) You are awesome for willing to help a perfect stranger so to speak :) thank you all :wink: As all of you, I also love my faithfull 406, but it gives me troubles sometime... Best car I ever had... Glad to see such a big community of fans of this car as a 406 is a verry underrated beast in my country. :evil: sorry for my spelling errors
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Pugi406,
Have you still got your old springs, if so you can use a 5mm bolt,washer & a nyloc nut :cheesy: .
I had to use this method on mine due to the back plates being to rusty & the slot had rusted away :oops:
If your interested I'll dig out all the dimensions DDD.
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
Pugi4o6
1.8 8v

Post by Pugi4o6 »

Hi there dirtydirty diesel. Great idea! Would it be somehow possible to dig out dimensions? I'm all about DIY projects and getting around things. I'm on a budget right now and would like to sort this silly thing. :) Passing MOT depends on this piece of metal :) I have to give credit to my main stealer :lol: He gives me 35% discount on OEM parts and 17% on hour/ labour costs. Programm is called My Peugeot, and it is valid for all Pugs older than 7 years. So it's good to own one after all :mrgreen: . thank you all!
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Post by gumby6371 »

Check this video out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_JFFerCzEM

Before you ask it's not me but tells you all you need to know
1996 1.9 TD LX (Gone but not forgotten)
2003 2.2 HDI SE
Pugi4o6
1.8 8v

Post by Pugi4o6 »

Oh man! Thank you for your effort. ! 8)
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Pugi4o6 wrote:Hi there dirtydirty diesel. Great idea! Would it be somehow possible to dig out dimensions? I'm all about DIY projects and getting around things. I'm on a budget right now and would like to sort this silly thing. :) Passing MOT depends on this piece of metal :) I have to give credit to my main stealer :lol: He gives me 35% discount on OEM parts and 17% on hour/ labour costs. Programm is called My Peugeot, and it is valid for all Pugs older than 7 years. So it's good to own one after all :mrgreen: . thank you all!
You will need 4 M5 x 45mm long bolts (I used stainless steel countersunk head ones, but I also machined up some spring spacers :wink: )
You will also need 4 M6 'C' type washers (large outside diameter) but not penny washers (you want them to be slighty larger than the spring
You put the M6 washer on to the counter sunk bolt (under the head) followed by the spring, through the shoes & backplate, then put on a M5 washer followed by
a M5 nyloc nut & just tighten so that the spring is compressed slightly (say by 2 mm) just enough to hold the shoes in place but allow them to move :wink: .
You will need in total 4 x M5 x 45 long counter sunk socket caps or set srews or pan heads, 4 x M5 washers, 4 x M5 nyloc's, 4 x M6 'C' type washers(important).
I have bumped my post on overhauling the rear brakes for you just go to the sus / brake section & have a look at the pic's.
I hope this help's all the best DDD :cheesy: .
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:

Pugi4o6
1.8 8v

Post by Pugi4o6 »

Will try that. Thank You for all your effort sir! 8)
Pugi4o6
1.8 8v

Post by Pugi4o6 »

Ok... So I took the easy way out I guess... I bought an accessory TRW kit from a local shop for 12 €. Now, a back plate is waiting at a main dealers. OEM Originally fitted to my 406 rotted in half... Hope the hand brake works as it should now! :)
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

That's the easy way if your back plates are in good nick (my slot's had corroded into hole's :oops: )
But at the start of this post you put up a picture of a back plate in very good nick (I take it it's not yours) :?
Ouch new backplates are very expensive (Dia paid about £180 for a pair) :shock: + you've got to put new wheel bearings in
it's this that put's off most people :wink: , I also thought you said that the brake shoe retaining kit was about 70 ish euros.
Anyway glad your getting it sorted DDD.

Sorry just re-read you o.p yeah 75 euros is cheep for the backplate :cheesy:

GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Pugi4o6 wrote:Ok... So I took the easy way out I guess... I bought an accessory TRW kit from a local shop for 12 €. Now, a back plate is waiting at a main dealers. OEM Originally fitted to my 406 rotted in half... Hope the hand brake works as it should now! :)
Thats a fair price - I think I paid about £6 for mine about 2 years ago.

If your back-plates are that bad then new ones are the best bet - decent second hand ones are hard to find and as DDD said, you need to remove and replace the rear hub/bearing too ( £45 each for decent budget ones )

If you have a D9 with ABS you need the hub with 48 teeth.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Pugi4o6
1.8 8v

Post by Pugi4o6 »

Oh... Never thought of that... Main stealer never mentioned a Wheel hub replacement! I hate surprises :evil: . what about putting old one back? Go / no go? It's in good condition... I wouldn't like to Mess with it... I'll take my chances... :oops: