new disks and pads still poor efficiency

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

joekellner
1.8 8v

new disks and pads still poor efficiency

Post by joekellner »

Hi. I have a 2003 406 hdi 90. I recently changed the pads and discs because the old ones were getting worn but they dont seem any different. Also when braking normally in dry conditions the last moment before coming to a stop the abs feels like its working like a kind of grating feeling. A friend told me it could be the vacuum pump?? the brakes do work but not near as efficient as they should be. brake fluid is full and theres no air in the system. I also have a 2001 citroen c5 hdi 110 that im breaking down could the pump from that work on mine? Any advice would be great.Thanks.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: new disks and pads still poor efficiency

Post by PeterN »

Your friend could well be right, if the pump is working properly, if you start the engine with you foot on the brake pedal you should feel it go down quite a way, if it doesn't it probably isn't. You could also have a leak in the vacuum pipe.

When you fit new pads and discs they will take a while to bed in.

Peter
degsy

Post by degsy »

This was similar to what I experienced. I had the grinding noise as the ABS kicked-in at low speeds (<5mph) because the ABS sensors were knackered. I also started getting "ABS Fault" on the display. Replacing the sensors sorted it out.
joekellner
1.8 8v

Post by joekellner »

Hi thanks for the replies.the pedal does go down when starting so maybe the pump is ok. As you said peterN i did question the sensors but must of slipped my mind. Ill try some new ones. I believe they are fairly easy to replace arent they?
Rolebama
2.0 Turbo

Post by Rolebama »

FWIW, i put new pads and discs on my 306 and they were rubbish. Between London Colney on the A414 and the M25 (J21A) there are three roundabouts, the M25 being the fourth. I was driving at around 70mph, and slowing for the roundabouts until I came to the M25, at which point the brakes faded to the point where they were virtually non-existent. I decided to bypass the M25 just to be on the safe side, and drove home through across the top of Watford through Rickmansworth. They sorted themselves out using that route but I still threw them and fitted others. I can't now remember the manufacturers name only that it was three initials.
1998 2.1 GLX TD
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

joekellner wrote:Hi thanks for the replies.the pedal does go down when starting so maybe the pump is ok. As you said peterN i did question the sensors but must of slipped my mind. Ill try some new ones. I believe they are fairly easy to replace arent they?
Umm... There's been a couple of horror stories on here of bolts being rust-welded in place, I don't think they'll be cheap either. You night be better off inspecting the reluctor rings as they seem to fail more often.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Post by gumby6371 »

It may be worth changing the brake fluid, easy enough to do if you have someone to pump the pedal and top up the reservoir.

I'm assuming you cleaned and copper greased the sliders etc and gave the disc a wipe down with brake cleaner when you did the change???

I usually find a nice stretch of empty A road when I fit new brakes and then ride the brakes on and off for a mile or so to help the bedding in process.
1996 1.9 TD LX (Gone but not forgotten)
2003 2.2 HDI SE
joekellner
1.8 8v

Post by joekellner »

Hi again all. I still have this blasted problem with the abs kicking in and today it almost caused me to rear end a brand new german vw thingy and when I say nearly I mean within 2cm of taking him out. Now ive decided to pull the fuse for the abs as I believe it will be safer without it for the mean time. Does anybody know what fuse it is and its location? Im assuming under the bonnet with the main ones? Tha ks in advance.
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

Have you looked at the reluctor rings yet?
As Steve said earlier in the thread, they fail more than anything else and is the most likely cause of your problem.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Indeed. Meanwhile, looks like fuse 3 in the engine compartment fuse panel for a full-mux.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
joekellner
1.8 8v

Post by joekellner »

I havent yet but wont have time to do so before work tomorrow amd I aint risking having that happen againlol. It was terrifying lol. I honestly thought ingot him but thankfully he didnt get out which I was expecting. Thanks. Ill pull tue fuse until I can check the rings.
joekellner
1.8 8v

Post by joekellner »

steve_earwig wrote:Indeed. Meanwhile, looks like fuse 3 in the engine compartment fuse panel for a full-mux.
Sorry to be a pain in the jaxy but do you know the layout and numbers please? I really must invest in a haynes manual lol
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

joekellner wrote:
steve_earwig wrote:Indeed. Meanwhile, looks like fuse 3 in the engine compartment fuse panel for a full-mux.
Sorry to be a pain in the jaxy but do you know the layout and numbers please? I really must invest in a haynes manual lol

I'm sure there is a fusebox layout picture on here somewhere, but here goes......http://www.peugeotlogic.com/fuses/fuses406/fuses1.htm
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

It's the ABS rings on your drive shafts. One of them is fouled up or broken.
If you have a search there's loads of info about them on here.
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy