Handbrake

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Handbrake

Post by FarmerPug »

I parked the car on friday, pulled the handbrake, and it made a very distinct snap sound, and then pointed up at the sunroof. I took a look at it this evening and it looks as if the cable going to the drivers side rear wheel has snapped, the rest is ok.
Is this the side where the cable can be bought seperatley.

Another issue im having is a lot of ABS kickback, not just on the ice when its normal but generally when slowing down, i changed the pads but left the old disks in place.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Handbrake

Post by steve_earwig »

Er, both sides can be bought separately :? There is one cable from the handbrake lever to the adjust bit near the rear subframe, then there's a cable each side, left is fixed to the body of the adjuster, right is joined to the end of the front cable:
Note - it's upside-down and back to front but left is left and right is right. From this hotch-potch of a thread here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10317&p=92036&hilit ... jpg#p91788

Maybe you have a broken reluctor ring?
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

I know you did your back-plates recently, which may make it easier for the handbrake cables to come out otherwise they could be stuck in the back-plate by rust/dirt etc.

I had to use a 7mm socket and a hammer to free my cables from the back-plate...... :wink:
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

The handbrake cable should swap over easy enough the backplates are new and everything got plenty of copper grease when refitting.

The ABS kicking is the biggest worry, if there was a bad reluctor ring/tooth wouldnt the abs light come on? The car still does an emergency stop with no problem the brakes stop the car quickly, but at slower speeds eg pulling up towards a junction or driving about town it does the abs kicking.
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

FarmerPug wrote:The handbrake cable should swap over easy enough the backplates are new and everything got plenty of copper grease when refitting.

The ABS kicking is the biggest worry, if there was a bad reluctor ring/tooth wouldnt the abs light come on? The car still does an emergency stop with no problem the brakes stop the car quickly, but at slower speeds eg pulling up towards a junction or driving about town it does the abs kicking.

I had the ABS kicking in without the ABS light being on with a reluctor ring in this condition.....viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20950
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

Yup its the reluctor rings, got the car washed today, brought it indoors and jacked it up, both front reluctor rings are broke, they have spit in the dip between the teeth:

any recomendations for what sort of replacement i should get?
gavintwopies

Post by gavintwopies »

ive just done mine last week cost £3.80 the pair delivered off eBay :)