just broke my rear brake pipe, NOT HAPPY

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

F3rob

just broke my rear brake pipe, NOT HAPPY

Post by F3rob »

Hi,

can anyone offer any advice, I have accidently nicked my rear offside brake pipe and was wondering is it a hard job to replace myself. If I could do it could anyone offer any imput please.

many thanks in advance.

rob
lozz
3.0 24v

Re: just broke my rear brake pipe, NOT HAPPY

Post by lozz »

take the old pipe off,
try to keep its shape..keep the fittings, & take it in to a motor factor's and theyl make one up for you for a couple of quid normaly,

shape the new pipe like the old one..and fit the ends loosely to start with then tighten them,to make sure theyre going in straight,

Brake pipes are fairly easy to fit as long as its not a full length,
D4B
2.0 16v

Post by D4B »

You will of course need to bleed the brakes after
My other Peugeot was a D4B
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

F3rob wrote:Hi,

can anyone offer any advice, I have accidently nicked my rear offside brake pipe and was wondering is it a hard job to replace myself. If I could do it could anyone offer any imput please.

many thanks in advance.

rob

You haven't said whether it is the rubber pipe or the metal one.

If it's the metal one then follow what lozz said, except to add...clamp off the rubber pipe to avoid fluid leaking out everywhere.
Rolebama
2.0 Turbo

Post by Rolebama »

If you have the new (metal) pipe made out of kunifer, then it bends quite easily by hand, which makkes it a lot easier to fit.
1998 2.1 GLX TD
F3rob

Post by F3rob »

Cheers guys,
did that and just as I went to bleed the brakes, the flipping bleed nipple broke so now I have to see if I can fix this. Any suggestions?
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Post by gumby6371 »

Is it caliper or drum at the back?

If it's drum I'd be inclined to swap the cylinder as it saves faffing, if it's calipers maybe a small easy out or long nose mole grips if there's anything to grip.
1996 1.9 TD LX (Gone but not forgotten)
2003 2.2 HDI SE
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

F3rob wrote:Cheers guys,
did that and just as I went to bleed the brakes, the flipping bleed nipple broke so now I have to see if I can fix this. Any suggestions?

If drum brakes fit a new cylinder as suggested....caliper type then you will need a new caliper.....try to get a caliper from someone that doesn't require the old unit or you will have to pay a surcharge for the broken bleed screw....of course a second hand one would be ok.

As a get-you-by until you can do a permanent fix, bleed the brake from the brake pipe.
F3rob

Post by F3rob »

jasper5 wrote:
F3rob wrote:Cheers guys,

If drum brakes fit a new cylinder as suggested....caliper type then you will need a new caliper.....try to get a caliper from someone that doesn't require the old unit or you will have to pay a surcharge for the broken bleed screw....of course a second hand one would be ok.

As a get-you-by until you can do a permanent fix, bleed the brake from the brake pipe.
I take its the same process as the bleed nipple, they are drum brakes, the car is a 99 plate and done 197000 but passed mot no worries and I cant bring myself to get rid just yet.
cheers guys
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Post by gumby6371 »

You'll need a brake pipe spanner (9mm I think but check first) pop the drum off and give the inside a good clean with brake cleaner, undo the brake pipe and pop an old rubber glove finger on it to stop excess fluid dripping everywhere. Pretty sure there were just a couple of allen head bolts holding the cylinder in place.
Make sure the shoes aren't contaminated in fluid, replace if they are. Re-assembly is the reverse...etc....

Bleeding is straight forward push and hold brake pedal/eazi bleed which ever is your preferred method. I prefer the pump the pedal method but it does require an assistant or reeeaaallllyyyyy long legs.

There is a good handbrake adjustment guide in the KB, you might as well do both sides while you're at it
1996 1.9 TD LX (Gone but not forgotten)
2003 2.2 HDI SE