Brake problem, calipers siezing on?

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

Floodys
2.0 16v

Brake problem, calipers siezing on?

Post by Floodys »

Just a brief one, got a 406 coupe, had some electrical problems with plugs under carpet that were wet and had ABS light on and other problems, that's all sorted now and no ABS lights on dash or other warning lights, engine management light. What it do's is with wheels jacked they free wheel but run car up and press brake pedal and brake start to bind up, drive it down road and you can feel it holding back, I changed a f/N/s caliper thinking it could be that, bleed it up but still doing it, so can anyone advise for 1 if bleeding brakes on a ABS car is any different to standard old school cars and 2 if anyone has had any problems like I've described? Many thanks for now
406 '01 110 GTX estate in white, the new tow car.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: Brake problem, calipers siezing on?

Post by GingerMagic »

I couldn't tell you how to fix the problem, but give all the wheels a proper good clean and drive round as normal for a day or so ( not non-stop..!! ) and see which wheel has the most brake dust...

I'm guess left rear.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Floodys
2.0 16v

Post by Floodys »

I'll try that cheers, would one say that if it was any kind of ABS problem that a ABS light would be on dash? Ie abs block, or a abs sensor on a wheel?
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

Floodys wrote:Just a brief one, got a 406 coupe, had some electrical problems with plugs under carpet that were wet and had ABS light on and other problems, that's all sorted now and no ABS lights on dash or other warning lights, engine management light. What it do's is with wheels jacked they free wheel but run car up and press brake pedal and brake start to bind up, drive it down road and you can feel it holding back, I changed a f/N/s caliper thinking it could be that, bleed it up but still doing it, so can anyone advise for 1 if bleeding brakes on a ABS car is any different to standard old school cars and 2 if anyone has had any problems like I've described? Many thanks for now

The easiest way to find the fault if you can't tell by trying to spin each wheel is to run it until the brakes bind then jack up each wheel in turn and see which wheel (s) is/are sticking.
You could just have sticking brake pads in their slides or the sliders in the calipers seized.
You could have pistons in the calipers seized or even a blocked brake hose which would allow fluid through to push the brake on then not allow the brake to release...this can happen after a short while when the brakes heat up.
Yes, If you have a ABS fault the ABS warning light will light up....but not always....sometimes if the reluctor rings are broken you may not always get a light on.....however, this fault is unlikely to be ABS related.
Bleeding an ABS system is just the same as any other with exceptions....some Hondas can be tricky, plus the 406 has a setting in PP2000 for bleeding brakes, but I've never needed it.
Floodys
2.0 16v

Post by Floodys »

Thank you for your post, bit more detail here, when I brought the car the guy (genuine old boy) said about the abs light on dash plus brakes were a bit hard and brake pedal didn't return straight away, I drove it home and held on footbrske thinking it could have been a simple thing, problem was they bound on and heated right up! Once cool it seemed ok and I drove it on to my place, seemed fine, no real issue only that abs light on, and pedal bit hard but worked, after fixing the wet plugs and cleaning etc all lights gone off dash, gave it a brief run and seemed ok, today I thought I'd check front brakes after the heating up problem, noticed osf caliper was tight/siezing also changed over caliper carrier as one of the sliders were seized solid, bit of a clean up and cooper ease, seemed fine, also got a friend to pump pedal as I let piston come out then prize back (just to check piston working) checked nsf and same sort of problem, cleaned/freed etc, took it for brief run and could feel it binding again, brought it home and both front brake warm/hot and nsf bound on, osf warm but not bound on, rear BTW seem ok and free. Ended up just before packing up swapping the nsf caliper over for a known God one and bleed a bit but haven't driven it yet but it was free and ok, but when running the car it wanted to bind up again? Strange! I think it may need more of a bleed, not sure if air in system affects ABS in any way? Cheers
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

If the calipers are sticking they can be helped pulling the rubber seal back and running some brake fluid in behind it, make sure it runs right round the piston, this will often free them off.

Peter
Floodys
2.0 16v

Post by Floodys »

Bit more info this morning, I basicaly think its something to do with the brake pedal not returning fully/quick enough thus allowing brakes to bind on a bit, in the s/h it has had a new m/cylinder so thinking it could be something not done right there? When driving it its all fine and when you brake you almost have to lift the brake pedal a tiny bit and then it seems free, any ideas how the pedal returns? Servo/m/cylinder? Springs anywhere etc?
madmadmax
2.0 Turbo

Post by madmadmax »

check your caliper slider all round and grease with red(rubber) grease not copper slip as i has a problem like this and it whent once the sliders had been grease replce if rustey or warn, thay can be got on ebay for cheap.

peddal return is done by the seales in the brake caliper pulling the pistion back and a spring on the peddel

so clean evrething and get all the rust corotion off the parts and it should all start working fine

i should read thing more

what year is it as it may have ebd and that could be playing silley buggers so are the tyres the right size and the same all round have you got the right reluctor rings and are thay the same all round

the ebd uses the same bits of the system as the abs
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

:arrowu: Oh Welton your favourite kind of post :lol: :arrowu:
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
Floodys
2.0 16v

Post by Floodys »

Sliders are all good and greased, all cleaned up on the rings and sensor and its a 53 plate with ABS/ESR, it has a sticker on servo saying something re bleeding and purge and refer to manual but can't find any info how to bleed system when having ESR? It runs 18" wheels and has done for about 8 years and was fine apparently up to just before Xmas.
406Break
1.8 16v

Post by 406Break »

My front passanger side brake was faulty.
Didn't have to hold the pedal on a slope and so on.
You could feel the brake holding on when starting from stop.

It was a bent slider pin.
Ever so slightly that only when putting them on a level surface next to eachother you could see the problem.

Peugeot 406 Break - 2.0L - 99kW - EW10J4/RFR - BVM5 - VF38ERFRE80937145