Not 406) C5 front discs and pads

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

scotty73
3.0 24v

Not 406) C5 front discs and pads

Post by scotty73 »

Has anyone changed the front discs and pads on a C5? I understand the handbrake is on the front on these :shock:
My N/s/f disc is badly scored and was thinking of changing them myself.. Anything i need to know? Special tools? disc sizes... Good promo codes maybe? :lol:
2000 W 2.0hdi 110 7 seat estate Blue.

And this glue is for my submarine not for putting up you're f*c*ing noses, and dont think i dont notice cos i do... Buy your own f*c*ing glue!!! Fatty Lewis Twin town 1997.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: Not 406) C5 front discs and pads

Post by PeterN »

I have a C5 but don't think I have changed the disc/pads yet, I say don't think because I do tend to forget. :? I know I have just done the ones on the 406. I think you will need a screw back tool for the calipers although I usually make one up. I do actually have one but don't remember buying it but I am old.

If you have rewed pads/discs before you will probably be able to work it out but for about £12 a Haynes manual will give you detailed instruction and you will have it for future reference.

Peter
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

Remove the front wheels with the handbrake on undo the 2 torx screws that hold the discs on to the hub.
Let the handbrake off and remove the caliper and pull back the rubber where the piston fits then squirt WD 40 inside and wind it back in....they wind in different directions...driver's side anti clockwise, passenger's clockwise.
You can wind them back using a pair of pointed nose pliers or a couple of pins fitted inside the holes in the pistons with a screwdriver or rod to fit between the pins....you can also use mole grips around the outer edge of the piston, but don't damage the rubber around the piston.
Remove the caliper brackets that fit onto the back of the suspension leg...can't remember the bolt size, but it may be the same as the 406 T 55 torx.
Remove the pads and warning wires.
Knock the discs off the hub with a hammer.
Clean the faces of the hubs where the discs fit, be sure they are very clean or you can warp the discs.
Clean the caliper bracket where the pads fit and test fit the new pads, file off any excess paint from the pads if they are a tight fit.
Grease the metal parts of the pads and fit them into the caliper bracket ready for assembly.
Grease the faces where the discs fit onto and fit the discs and the screws that hold them on.
Be sure to clean the brake disc surfaces with brake cleaner before you fit them.
Fit the caliper bracket and pads together then bolt up tight.
Fit the caliper and bolt it up then fit the brake warning wires.
When both sides are fitted pump up the brake pedal until you have a solid pedal then test the handbrake....be sure the handbrake cables are not too tight or the suspension moving up and down will snap the handbrake cables.
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

Cheers both, will remember all that John :cheesy:

Closer inspection shows the passenger disc is the only problem the pads look new it's just that one disc that has a nice little groove through the centre of it... Would a tight barsteward get away with just replacing one disc?.. For tight read "To much other sh*t to spend cash on" :lol:
2000 W 2.0hdi 110 7 seat estate Blue.

And this glue is for my submarine not for putting up you're f*c*ing noses, and dont think i dont notice cos i do... Buy your own f*c*ing glue!!! Fatty Lewis Twin town 1997.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

General rule is always work on brakes in PAIRS!

If you had to quickly stand on the brakes and there was an imbalance on the same axle you could send the car into the scenery......

The fact that one side is worse than the other already points to a lazy/dirty/sticking caliper.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work