Rear suspension Rattle

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

Nandad
1.8 16v

Rear suspension Rattle

Post by Nandad »

Hi all
We replaced the drop link and toplink (to try to stop the rattle – sounds like a loose bolt). I noticed the rear tyres were bald on the outside. They have only been on for six months or so. Looking at the back of the car, the wheels look like /-\ , though not as bad as that! I also noticed that my son can turn by hand the curved bar (Number 1 on the schematics) on the near side. And that blasted rattle is still there but not so loud now and just on the near side. He can't feel any movement.

Has anyone any ideas which bushes if any need replacing? Or if it need to drop the entire rear suspension?
Nandad
98 2.0 executive estate

PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: Rear suspension Rattle

Post by PeterN »

Can't help you with the rattle but the outside edge tyre wear is probably because the wheels are towing in. The tracking is set by the bolts that hold the top link, there are two cam shaped washers under the heads of the bolts and these can be rotated to set the track. You should mark the position of these washers before you remove the bolts.

I seem to remember that on mine I had to set them for maximum tow out, this equated to them being near enough parallel and I have had no uneven tyre wear since. Remember to adjust both sides to the same position or the wheels could be facing the wrong direction.

Peter
Nandad
1.8 16v

Re: Rear suspension Rattle

Post by Nandad »

Thanks Peter.
Looked and noticed garage had not lined up with the marks my son set when he was home on leave. Set them as you suggested, see what happens.