Wheel alignment problem

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Wheel alignment problem

Post by FarmerPug »

The car has had an out of alignment steering wheel after hitting a kerb while parking, it didnt really do anything to the car in terms of it pulling to any particular side but the wheel was offset to the left when going straight ahead. I changed the rear track control arms.
So i got a 4 wheel Alignment today, the first attempt the wheel was way off to the right, i went back and now its slightly off to the right, just waiting on the 3rd alignment, hopefully they will get the steering wheel in the right direction.

Is there anything else that could cause this, the man in the tyre fitters says it could be the "steering yoke" does that sound about right? It seems more likely that they dont know how to use the alignment machine but just thought id check on here.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Wheel alignment problem

Post by steve_earwig »

Steering yoke?
Ounce of coke
have a toke
complete joke.

I think he's actually saying the steering column bottom UJ is borked (using an out of date term for it). Either that or he's a ham-fisted son of a goit trying to get away with not doing it right.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
PhillipM
1.8 16v

Post by PhillipM »

I'm having a somewhat similar issue but it's because the subframe bushes at the front are buggered, so it keeps moving slightly.
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

That 3rd attempt they didnt even make any ajdustment (which im sure the right man could have taken out ot the steering) just measured the alignment and gave me a printout.

According to the printout and the man pointed this out the camber is +0.15 degrees on the passenger side and -0.55 on the drivers side, meaning toed in at the top. He said strut or
Strut top bush/bearing? Does this seem likely.

Of course being a tyre shop they said a set on new tyres would probably cure it
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

Did they not set the steering wheel straight and lock it straight before they started the alignment?

They should set the steering wheel straight and then make adjustments if required not try to make adjustments and hope the wheel is straight.
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

The man got into the car, and used some clamp between the steering wheel and the seat, im guessing that when clamping it he didnt get it on straight, it would only have taken a couple of millimeteres to the left to correct this problem. They say they will do a free alignment the next time i come in for new tyres.
Great sales techniques :x
annie
2.0 16v

Post by annie »

i have the same issue..last week i changed the rear drop links and rear track arms on both sides and now the FRONT wheels are way out of line. the steering whheel is now to the left of dead centre... would changing the rear susp do this or is it something else needs doing on the front ive mist...annie x
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Farmer - you say you hit a curb but maybe you bent the wishbone or something. Any deformed parts will never align properly.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

Welly wrote:Farmer - you say you hit a curb but maybe you bent the wishbone or something. Any deformed parts will never align properly.
The wishbones dont normally deform do they? its toed in at the top, im wondering if it could have been the broken spring a few years back, the rod in the damper could have been bent a tad?