abs fault

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

charliedog
1.8 8v

abs fault

Post by charliedog »

I have recently done some work on the hub which required the removal of the hubs, renewal of one of the drives-shafts and both abs sensors. One of the drive-shafts was replaced with a new one, the other had a cv boot renewed. After putting it all back together and on road testing, the brakes juddered at low speed when coming to a stop. The dashboard light came on. The brakes still worked effectively ( other than the judder) when braking and coming to a stop. This only happens when the brake is applied at low speed!! At high and average speed the brakes work normally with no judder. Also the abs warning light does not come on every time with the judder. Any help would be appreciated.
fattail95
2.0 Turbo

Re: abs fault

Post by fattail95 »

The judder/pulsating brake pedal at low speeds is characteristic of a broken ABS reluctor ring. Happened to me once before:

http://406oc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=21979&p=221702

^^Have a read of that, the rings are very cheap but not very easy to replace for the mechanically inexperienced. Removing the old ring is fairly easy as it will probably have cracked, just a case of bend/cut and remove it. To fit the new one, you will need to heat the ring up with a blow torch and get it REALLY hot, and while it's still hot slot it onto the driveshaft and quench it immediately with water. This will allow the metal ring to contract and ensure a tight fit onto the driveshaft. Reset the ABS ECU and away you go!
2001/Y Peugeot 406 2.0 HDi Saloon
150hp/330nm Powerflow stainless exhaust Kevlar clutch Cat delete EGR & Doser delete Leather interior Windows tinted Cruise control 5 dial cluster Yatour bluetooth Starfish alloys Twin rear fogs
hammerman
2.0 Turbo

Post by hammerman »

I`ll 2nd that with the juddering and abs light.The rings were broken on mine a few years ago with the same juddering.I replaced to whole cv joint as i got them for around £20 each.Easy to change once out of the hub.
2003 Hdi Est SE
benczuk
3.0 24v

Post by benczuk »

My reluctor ring was cracked allowing it to slide about and thus producing signal loss. I just removed it, cleaned the surface and epoxied it back in place.

4 years on it is still working fine and it saves all the faff of removing bits and heating things.
2002 HDi 2.2 GTX Estate de-fapped
charliedog
1.8 8v

Post by charliedog »

benczuk wrote:My reluctor ring was cracked allowing it to slide about and thus producing signal loss. I just removed it, cleaned the surface and epoxied it back in place.

4 years on it is still working fine and it saves all the faff of removing bits and heating things.
What epoxy resin did you use for the job please?
benczuk
3.0 24v

Post by benczuk »

Just standard Araldite.
2002 HDi 2.2 GTX Estate de-fapped