clunk at front wheel??

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

cliffk
2.0 16v

clunk at front wheel??

Post by cliffk »

I have a 2003 406 estate diesel there is a clunk which appears to be from the front driver side when driving off from stationary and when braking at low speed e.g. queuing in traffic it is one single clunk and I cant hear it when driving.

I recently checked the drop links and they had play so I changed them so they are new. there is no play in the wheel bearings.

Any ideas could it be bottom arm or bottom ball joint? I the bottom arm bushes seemed good when I changed the drop links.
lozz
3.0 24v

Re: clunk at front wheel??

Post by lozz »

Hi.
You might be best to get the wheel off..
And check for play in the ball joint..using a small bar or similar..object..

Couid be anything.. * bushes/balljoint/

Hard to guess..

It might not even be related to the above.. Is the lower engine mount all good?
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi, a friend with a 406 coupe had exactly the same fault, initially we thought it was the brakes but turned out to be a worn bush on the suspension - I think it was the wishbone but I can't be sure. I'll check when I'm in front of my PC at home....
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
cliffk
2.0 16v

Post by cliffk »

GingerMagic wrote:Hi, a friend with a 406 coupe had exactly the same fault, initially we thought it was the brakes but turned out to be a worn bush on the suspension - I think it was the wishbone but I can't be sure. I'll check when I'm in front of my PC at home....
Hi thanks for the replies look forward to hearing from you, by the way I did have the lower engine mount checked when I checked the drop links and its all good.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi, I'm home now....

I've just copied this text from the Coupe club - I hope David doesn't mind... :wink:

"My mechanic had diagnosed the problem. It isn't brakes at all! It's the wishbone bushes! The really sad thing is that I have repeatedly tried to improve the front suspension handling by replacing these bushes. Firstly with poly-bushes that failed after about a year and then, having decided to avoid plastic bushes, I went for Mayle hardened rubber after market bushes and these have now failed. So I'm eating humble pie, putting up with the original Peugeot bush standards and having genuine Peugeot bushes refitted to the wishbones. I've wasted a lot of money playing with suspension bushes and can now say that I no longer recommend straying from the OEM offerings.

The worn bushes allowed the car to settle when the G force of braking to a standstill shifted the bush pins in the oversized bush centres. The confusion was that it was braking that caused the movement so I jumped to the conclusion that the problem, lay with the brakes. It did not. Worth remembering if your car appears to have low speed "grabbing" brakes."

Hope this helps....
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
cliffk
2.0 16v

Post by cliffk »

Thank you I will take a close look at the lower wishbone looks like a reasonably easy job to change.
cliffk
2.0 16v

Post by cliffk »

Checked it out today found play in the bottom suspension arm front bush drivers side new arm on order.